Print Thread
#238159 04/07/12 07:50 AM
W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
There have been several thread about issues with /splay in the past, where it couldn't play the file.
Today, someone on IRC was asking for help because he couldn't play the [link removed], I couldn't either..
After quite some times and after reading the previous thread about it, especially link1 and link2 and link3, there's no doubt the problem is with mIRC.
I'm on windows 7, updated the audio driver and I can play that file with any player including window media player.
Note also that window media player correctly displays/gets the tags from the file.
It seems that mIRC is unable to play mp3 files that use the version 2.4.0 of id3 (the user on IRC also gave a second song which was using that version, we couldn't play it either).
People in the past reported that removing the tag made mIRC plays the file and this is still true.

I used a modified version of an alias found in one of those three link:
Code:
alias mp3test {
  var %f C:\Users\Wims\Downloads\Fur Elise.mp3 ,%s album title artist year comment genre track length version bitrate vbr sample mode copyright private crc id3 tag tags,%a 1
  while ($gettok(%s,%a,32)) {
    echo -a $v1 $+ : $sound(%f). [ $+ [ $v1 ] ]
    inc %a
  }
  var %a $sound(%f,0).tag,%r
  while (%a) {
    %r = %r $sound(%f,%a).tag
    dec %a
  }
  echo -a tag: %r
}
resulting in:
Quote:
album:
title:
artist:
year:
comment:
genre:
track: -1
length: 177883
version: MPEG 1.0 Layer 3
bitrate: 128
vbr: $false
sample: 44100
mode: Joint Stereo
copyright: $false
private: $false
crc: $false
id3: v2.4.0
tag: 11
tags: TIT2 TRCK TALB TYER TCON TPE1 TENC TIT2 TPE1 TPE2 TALB
tag: TALB Classical Playlist TPE2 Various TPE1 Beethoven TIT2 Fur Elise TENC Lavf52.31.0 TPE1 Beethoven TCON (32) TYER 1867 TALB Classical - Various TRCK 1 TIT2 Fur Elise
Notice how the beginning (album title etc) are empty, how 'track' is -1 (should be 1) and how the id3 version is 2.4.0. Tags are correct though
Using a software (itunes) to edit the tag and removing the title, I now get:
Quote:
album: Classical - Various
title:
artist: Beethoven
year: 1867
comment:
genre: Classical
track: 1
length: 177891
id3: v2.4.0
tag: 12
tags: TPE2 TRCK TALB TYER TCON TPE1 COMM TENC TIT2 TPE1 TPE2 TALB
tag: TALB Classical Playlist TPE2 Various TPE1 Beethoven TIT2 Fur Elise TENC Lavf52.31.0 COMM eng TPE1 Beethoven TCON Classical TYER 1867 TALB Classical - Various TRCK 1 TPE2 Beethoven
Now it correctly reports the album, artist, genre etc.., notice how the length change too.
After that, when I delete all the tags, I get:
Quote:
album:
title:
artist:
year:
comment:
genre:
track: -1
length: 177632
id3: v2.3.0
tag: 1
tags: COMM
tag: COMM eng
Notice how the version of id3 is now 2.3.0, and from that point, mIRC will play the file.
So I don't know how mIRC is really just using wmp api to play the file but somehow, at some point, there's a check preventing it to do so, and it really seems to be related to file using id3 v2.4.0
If you can play the file as it is, please make a reply here.

Last edited by Khaled; 04/07/12 09:36 AM.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Wims #238160 04/07/12 09:49 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for looking into it, unfortunately it really is a Windows issue. As I have mentioned before, mIRC plays MP3 files through the Windows API, so it depends entirely on Windows to play the file. mIRC has no idea about the format of the file. If you are able to play the file through another media player, like Winamp or Windows Media player, they may be using their own codecs or filters. This is separate from Windows itself. If you install a codec pack, like the "K-Lite Codec Pack", does that resolve the issue for you?

Khaled #238172 04/07/12 09:24 PM
W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
Ok. Installing that pack does resolve the issue.
It seems weird that mIRC requires us to download some codecs to play a file when others media player can play it just fine, isn't it possible to use the installed codecs with the windows api?
Sorry for the public link to the song, but I hope it helps improving $sound.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Wims #238173 04/07/12 10:08 PM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Other media players have built in codecs which allow them to play many types of media. Windows only has codecs for so many types of media so that's where the "issue" comes from.

http://scripting.pball.win
My personal site with some scripts I've released.

Link Copied to Clipboard