Thels Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
T
Hi,

Based on the question I asked in this thread:
https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/233212

Would it be possible to make the beep on long messages optional, that could be disabled somewhere in the options screen. I use my own cut-script, rather than mIRC's built-in cut-script, and thus I'm not worried at all that my message becomes too long.

That makes the beeps really annoying, especially when you're writing text that covers 3-4 messages, and generates around a thousand beeps, not at all uncommon for RPers.

Greetings, Thels.

Learning something new every day.
T
Thels Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
T
I kinda shamelessly give this another bump, hope it gets at least some response.

I like nearly all the new features mIRC's getting with each major update, but this one is really hell for RPers. RPers already used their own cut-script and never had troubles before.

Since 7.x the beeps are really annoying, to the point where I prefer to use IM's to contact RP buddies where I used to prefer IRC.

Is there any chance the beeps could become optional?

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Easy workaround: turn off beeps in the Sounds control panel in Windows.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
T
Thels Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
T
Originally Posted By: argv0
Easy workaround: turn off beeps in the Sounds control panel in Windows.
Still, bear with me, and imagine there are other programs that beep, which are quite important.

It would be nice if mIRC had some option to just disable these beeps, rather than having to shut down beeps in general in other placers.

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
If you don't mind a bit of a work around you could make a simple dialog window with a text box and enter button. You could type to your hearts content there and hit the button to send the text.

http://scripting.pball.win
My personal site with some scripts I've released.
T
Thels Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
T
That seems like an overzealous workaround, with all it's own problems, like switching forth and back.

I disabled the beep a few days ago while RPing, but already found three instances where I miss the sound (mIRC's own script editor being one, where I rely on the beep to be notified that mIRC completed a search without finding additional results, something quite useful if you have a client with so many code that it takes a couple of seconds), so I had to put it back on.

I would prefer it if I wasn't forced to return to 6.35 just because 7.x turns typing long messages into such a hell to your ears. frown

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Well I just know I edited/updated a script for some rpgers in the past that was a dialog where they could leisurely type. It also did the cuts for long lines among other things. So I know at least some people see that as a good solution.

http://scripting.pball.win
My personal site with some scripts I've released.
T
Thels Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
T
Well, then perhaps it's something to keep under consideration.

It's still particularly odd to have to use dialogs to bypass an unwanted feature. I don't need dialogs to split up messages as the input box works just fine for that.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Personally, I think the beeps should be optional as well, or only beep the first few characters after the threshold. If you are still typing after that point, then it should be clear that you mean to do so and the beeps can stop. I think just having them optional is the best thing anyhow. I'm a little suprised that it isn't optional already considering it's a little too "in your face" for a feature that can't be disabled. I understand the reasoning for it, but mIRC has scripting that can be used to split messages and the newer versions have an option to split messages, so why should people who use those options have to listen to an unnecessary warning beep?

If nothing else, just disable the beep if you have mIRC's split long message option enabled. That doesn't help the people using custom cut scripts, but it does make sense for people using mIRC's built-in feature. If mIRC knows it's going to split the lines, why warn someone about a long line?

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
I think the beeps should be optional as well, or only beep the first few characters after the threshold.

Making mIRC beep only a few times after the threshold sounds like a good idea. I will see if I can implement that for the next version.

Quote:
If nothing else, just disable the beep if you have mIRC's split long message option enabled.

I think this is already the case - if split long messages is enabled, mIRC should not beep when you pass the threshold.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Originally Posted By: Khaled
Quote:
If nothing else, just disable the beep if you have mIRC's split long message option enabled.

I think this is already the case - if split long messages is enabled, mIRC should not beep when you pass the threshold.

confirmed in 7.23 beta. I typed enough that mirc split it into 5 messages with no beeps (split long messages checked).

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Couldn't we just add one small checkbox in the Alt+O -> Sounds dialog? It seems reasonable to not want mIRC to make noise ever.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Actually, on that note, if [ ] Enable sounds is unchecked, mIRC should not perform the editbox beep, as this contradicts the setting somewhat.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I think what most people have said who commented on this is that they don't want to disable other sounds in mIRC that might be useful, but instead do not want to have a lot of beeps when typing long messages that they are splitting with a script.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I'm aware of that, note my suggestion for the specific setting. My point was a sidenote that mIRC is not respecting the enable sounds option.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
P
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
P
Originally Posted By: Khaled
Quote:
I think the beeps should be optional as well, or only beep the first few characters after the threshold.

Making mIRC beep only a few times after the threshold sounds like a good idea. I will see if I can implement that for the next version.

May I respectfully vote against this? smile It is a good idea, except for one problem: audible alerts for only the first few post-threshold characters are going to result in users missing those alerts when other, louder Windows sound effects, mIRC scripting-triggered sound effects, or third party software sound effects coincide with and drown them out.

I find myself favoring argv0's general idea. The threshold beeps ought to be absent if "[ ] Enable sounds" is unchecked, and an "Editbox full" option could be added to the "On event, play sound:" dropdown. (Users could still have silent-except-for-threshold-beeps mIRC installations this way, just by checking "[ ] Enable sounds" and setting every event except for "Editbox full" to "No Sound". Or the reverse: leave all events set as is, and set "Editbox full" to "No Sound". Etc. And of course, with this, users could even customize the threshold sound effect.)

Just one forethought: if you do add an "Editbox full" sound event control, please consider, if it is set to "Beep" (as opposed to "No Sound" or to a custom sound), having said sound ignore the settings of "Event beep: Beeps: [___] Delay: [___]", and instead produce only one such beep per keystroke. Otherwise, typing would produce a racket. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard