Yep, I'm very sure I used the 'portable' option but I don't think that's the cause of the problem. I just think that the portable mIRC install was perhaps using the same directory information when it came to reading and writing ini files. Also, I remember reading that the installation process did warn that installing on the the C drive could cause problems. Perhaps it's best to install it on a USB drive. I will also perhaps try using the -portable command line option but that shouldn't be needed if it's using the 'portable' install option.
Anyway, I wasn't really sure I wanted to reproduce the issue since it gave me problems trying to fix it afterward. However, I will try it again and make sure I have my critical ini files in a safe place. I'll add to this later to share my findings.
Well, I tried it again and it didn't cause any problems. Maybe it was a rare event. So, I wasn't able to reproduce the problem, but that's a good thing. It could've been my fault when I tried to use the ini files from my existing installation so I didn't have to customize the second installation from scratch. Well, it was worth checking out to see the result.
Khaled, thanks for your patience in this situation. I'm sorry if I implied there was a problem with the mIRC installation. It seems to work fine.
Last edited by Lloyd_B; 23/02/12 03:50 PM.