Hello,

I had just used the /dns command with the fix and get this result:

the command i use : /dns pgeo
(pgeo host: #hellas pgeo H pgeo@will-beat.us :2 pgeo) -> via /who command

Code:
[20:38:30] * Dns resolving will-beat.us
-
[20:38:30] * Dns resolved will-beat.us to 2001:9b0:1:1002::37

Last edited by westor; 15/10/11 05:42 PM.

Need Online mIRC help or an mIRC Scripting Freelancer? -> https://irc.chathub.org <-
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
What's the problem? That's an IPv6 address. If you have IPv6 support enabled it will give you IPv6 addresses. You can force mIRC to only return IPv4 addresses by doing /dns -4 pgeo instead (or by disabling IPv6 support).

drum #234299 15/10/11 05:58 PM
westor Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
You did not see any problem above? users like me that don't know that the have /dns -4 or 6 or anymore about the IPV6,4 supports how you expect to get it that is not a bug? yes with the /dns -4 was correct but this is not regular.

Need Online mIRC help or an mIRC Scripting Freelancer? -> https://irc.chathub.org <-
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
This is happening because you set mIRC to prioritize IPv6 over IPv4 in Alt+O -> Connect -> Options -> Ports... -- either that or you forcibly used /server -6 to connect to an IPv6 server (which enabled IPv6 priority for that connection id, including all commands initiated from it, IIRC).

These features are not enabled by default, and, therefore, users like you apparently do know about IPv6, because you enabled it on your own.

The host resolves to an IPv4 address to me, since I do not have the IPv6 priority mode enabled.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
The options says it will "Enable IPv6 support and prioritize IPv6 over IPv4 connections." Well IPv6 is enabled regardless if that option is checked. Hence the confusion. I think it should say "Always connect using IPv6" cuz that's what it does more or less.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
"enabled" can be interpreted in many ways here. mIRC doesn't control whether IPv6 is enabled or disabled on your system-- that's up to your network interface layer. If you have IPv6 protocols enabled in one of your NICs, IPv6 is by definition enabled on your system-- similar to having SSL installed-- once it's installed, it's always "enabled".

The question is whether mIRC will *use* IPv6. The answer is: if priority mode is enabled, as often as possible. If not, it will only use it if explicitly requested via /server -6 or /dns -6.

Note that you can have a system without IPv6. You can also have servers that do not support IPv6. Therefore it is not *always* connecting with IPv6, only when it is enabled locally and on the server. This is not that common a scenario-- only a handful of EFNet servers support IPv6 as of now, for example. On other servers, mIRC will not connect using IPv6, even if you had priority mode on (because it would be impossible to do so), therefore the wording currently used is accurate.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard