mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
Hello everybody.

Some of you already have seen me around this site seeking help on other issues. Ive sought your advice on a good network that can help our Christian ministry with a large ban list of 300. So far we have been unable to find one. Every network we speak to all recommend we get a bot to house our ever increasing ban list.

Since I know absolutely nothing about how to script bots, I need your assistance once again.

If a network cannot help with a large ban list, and a bot can.

Please advice me on a bot that can house 300+ bans so that we are not forever having to transfer bans manually from channel central list of 40, to akick on a network.

There has to be some other more efficient method of hold a large ban list.

Please advice on a bot or method .

Thanks heaps

DeeperStill

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It may be a long shot but if you choose a network to relocate to and only inform those you trust of the 'big move' then those you don't want in your chatroom are not likely to end up on your banlist.

Are there really that many people disrupting your room?

The reason banlists are small is because there is only so much memory available for the banlist. The more bans you allow, the smaller the number of characters are available for each ban.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A scripted ban list is often referred to as a shitlist if you want to search for one that is already made. It stores the bans in a file or wherever else and when someone banned joins the room, they will be kick/banned and the ban will be automatically removed after a period of time. This does not prevent someone from joining the channel, but does prevent them from talking or remaining in the channel. Such a ban list can be very large (up to the size of the drive you're storing it on).

Still, as Watchdog said, if you're moving to another network, the chances of needing a large ban list are minimal unless you're advertising it to anyone who is harassing you now.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
that sounds like what I need Riamus. have any suggestions or links to one already made that has been well tested and simple to use for a non geeky person like me?

DS

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
They should be easy to find on any of the scripting sites. But here is a VERY basic example.

Code:
menu nicklist { Ban Nick:slist $address($$1,2) }
menu channel { Ban Address:slist $$?="Enter Address to ban" }
alias slist { write banlist.txt $1- }
on @*:join:#: {
  var %t = $lines(banlist.txt)
  while (%t) {
    if ($read(banlist.txt,nt,%t) iswm $address($nick)) { ban -ku300 $chan $v1 | break }
    dec %t
  }
}

Some things to note...

You should be able to enter the ban address in any format, though I haven't tested this. The nicklist right click menu will use *!*@host.com format (type 2), though you can change that by just changing the 2. The channel right click menu will use whatever format you enter. It will not check to make sure you entered a valid format.

It will then loop through the bans whenever someone joins the channel. If it finds a match, then it will kick/ban the person and the ban will automatically remove after 300 seconds, which you can change if you want. The automatic removal is what keeps your ban list clear. If it doesn't find a match, nothing is done. It will also automatically stop looking for matches as soon as it finds one to make the script more efficient.

The ban will be set using the first ban format that matches that you set up.

Note that your choice of ban format will affect how strict or not strict this script is. For example, if you set a ban for:

spammer!blah@mirc.com

and someone joins with an address of spammer!~blah@mirc.com or spammer2!blah@mirc.com, the person will not be banned. On the other hand, if you enter the ban as:

*!*@*.mirc.com

then it will ban anyone with a mirc.com host (as long as their address shows the host and not an IP, of course). So be careful how you set the bans as you may set them too strict or too weak to be any use.

Note that this will not do anything if you (or the bot running the script) is not an op. There is also not a remove option, but you can manually remove the bans from the text file.

----------

Now, like I said, this is a VERY basic script. There will be ways to make it more efficient and features that could be added that would make it better. But I don't use such scripts and don't really know what the best setup for them would be. As I mentioned, you should be able to easily find this kind of script on a scripting site and it will probably be better than this one. Remember that the scripts on such sites are tested and often have comments that will give you an idea of how good the script is.

Someone else might even write a better script here as well. But the script above should at least be a start. Normally, something like this would be best with a dialog that works similar to the channel control dialog that you would normally use for bans and modes. But that requires more scripting than this basic version is going to show.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard