V
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
V
hi and hello

few years ago I saw 2 people in 1 channel
"having conversation" with encrypted text

so I wonder how to "make" and "read" such text with mirc scripting ?
I'm on v6.21 and in help file I didn't understand much things
with $encode/decode :P

any possible easy example ?

vinifera #228685 07/01/11 03:03 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
$encode and $decode are a very basic encoding/decoding method. It is unlikely that what you saw was using those. There are other methods that use a stronger encryption that are available and one of those is more likely what you saw. Those require that the people speaking all have a decoding "key" in order to decode the text correctly.

You can easily google encryption methods for mIRC to get a variety of options to choose from. One popular example would be FiSH. Or, if you want to gain some experience in the basics of how it works, you can script a very basic method yourself. All you do is replace each character with a different character based on a set key and the decode it by replacing the new characters with the old by using the same key. For example, in a very basic encryption, maybe you just shift the letters X characters. So "Hello" encrypted with the key of 2 might become "Jgnnq" and then decoding that would be done as -2 characters back to "Hello". Of course, that is extremely basic and easily figured out. True encryption does much more than just shift characters around. But this kind of basic encryption does let you try different things and get an understanding of how it works much more easily than trying to figure out how secure encryption works.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #228686 07/01/11 03:09 AM
V
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
V
well I do know what encryption/decryption is
I just thought that mirc already had this inbuilt with wildcard use :P

well ok I will search then, maybe there is some sample script with dll :P

vinifera #228687 07/01/11 03:09 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
First suggestion is to upgrade to 7.17. There have been numerous bug fixes, upgrades, and other improvements to mIRC since 6.21

Secondly, in order to do a script like that you would need to use the ON INPUT event to capture the text you enter, then "convert" it using $encode, then send the message to the person or channel.

Next the person that is wanting/needing to read the message will need to have a script that uses $decode to "convert" the information back to English. By default, $decode is disabled, so the receiver would have to enable it manually.

One problem with giving you a code here, is the fact that anyone else that looks at these forums could take the same code, thus making the encryption useless.

Personally, I think that the amount of work required to do a script (actually two would be needed, one to encode, one to decode) in relation to the security level makes it not worth-while.

I'll post a simple example after I've written and tested it.

Link Copied to Clipboard