mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
L
Lloyd_B Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
L
I recently updated my "Avast AntiVirus" app and when I connected to my favorite IRC server, mIRC is acting like it's on a 1200bps connection. Has anyone else had this problem?

- Yes, I tried another server within the same IRC network and the same problem is happening.
- Web browser connection speed isn't effected.
- I disabled the firewall to see if that was doing anything and the firewall isn't the problem.
- I temporarily disabled "Avast" to see if it's causing the problem and mIRC immediately responded normally.

So, is anyone else having this problem after a recent anti-virus update or is it just "Avast"?

I'm using the Home (free) version, it's the latest program update v5.1.864

I'm not too comfortable with leaving my anti-virus off so I will install a new one until I can find a better solution. If anything, maybe this will help someone else resolve their problem with the latest "Avast" program update.

Lloyd
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Have you tried a different network to see if that also seems to be running slow?
As I don't use Avast, I can't say about their program/updates.
Generally speaking, however, the only time an Anti-virus should affect the speed of a program, is when the program is activated, and even then only if the anti-virus is configured to scan on start-up.
This still should not affect your connection speed.

If you want to try a different free anti-virus, I use AVG along with Super Anti-Spyware

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I am using avast and this problem did not exists, also if you have any of this problem you can deselect from the AVAST general window in the "Real-Time Shields" go to the "Shield IM" messaging click to the "Expert Settings" and deselect the "mIRC".

(Avast! Home Edition 5.1.864)

Last edited by westor; 03/01/11 11:41 AM.

Need Online mIRC help or an mIRC Scripting Freelancer? -> https://irc.chathub.org <-
L
Lloyd_B Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
L
I reinstalled an older version of Avast for now and the problem wasn't there. If I do get it again I will use your suggestion.

Lloyd

Link Copied to Clipboard