mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Z
zerofox Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
Z
When somebody says "hi", I want to /whois everybody in the channel who is voiced.

I know how to respond to text with ON:TEXT:#channel:{action

...but that's it.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
So what happens when a couple of people say hi at the same time?
Most likely you will flood yourself off the server.

Why exactly do you want to do this? This feels like you're approaching a problem from a wrong angle.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
what you want can be done easily enough, but yeah, it seems like a back-around-the-way type of doing something. What is the bigger picture? I mean sure, you could do:

Code:
on *:text:hi:#channel-name {
  var %voiced = $nick(#,0,v)
  while (%voiced > 0) { whois $nick(#,%voiced,v) | dec %voiced 1 }
}

as a basic example and untested. You WILL want to use a timer so you DONT flood yourself (as pointed out above).

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
Z
zerofox Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
Z
I play a lot of trivia games on IRC where only 6-8 people are voiced at a time. Even so, they have a tendency to go idle a lot -_-. I wanted a script to /whois voiced people to check their idle times whenever the trivia bot is started by someone. Thanks guys.

EDIT: It seems the simple "whois" doesn't show idle time on this server, and I need to /whois whois <nick>

I tried just adding a second whois in the script, but that doesn't work :P

Last edited by zerofox; 22/10/10 06:56 PM.
C
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
C
Originally Posted By: zerofox

EDIT: It seems the simple "whois" doesn't show idle time on this server, and I need to /whois whois <nick>

I tried just adding a second whois in the script, but that doesn't work :P

/whois <nick> <nick>
Code:
on *:text:hi:#channel-name: {
  var %voiced = $nick(#,0,v)
  while (%voiced > 0) { whois $nick(#,%voiced,v) $nick(#,%voiced,v) | dec %voiced 1 }
}

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
$nick(#,$nick).idle

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
limit it to just those that are voiced, you can use $nick($chan,$nick,v).idle to return the idle time for $nick in $chan if they are voiced. This saves you from having to /whois all the time, thus eliminating this script from flooding you off of the server.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: RusselB
limit it to just those that are voiced, you can use $nick($chan,$nick,v).idle to return the idle time for $nick in $chan if they are voiced. This saves you from having to /whois all the time, thus eliminating this script from flooding you off of the server.

.idle returns a very different value than what appears if you do an extended /whois. Most servers let you send multiple nicks at once though using a standard /whois. I.E. /whois <nick1> [nick2] [nick3] etc.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I know that the .idle extension can return a different value from /whois <nick> <nick>, however, as the original request stated that the people are voiced in the channel, it makes more sense to me to check the channel idle time, rather than the network idle time.

As to using multiple nicks in the /whois, I've only seen this with <nick1> <nick1>, which was mentioned earlier to get the network idle time for those nicks not connected to the same server as you.

If you have a working example of using /whois <nick1> <nick2> <nick3> where all 3 nicks are different, I would love to see it in operation, thus I request from you a network address where this is in operation.

Link Copied to Clipboard