mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
MadRat Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
mIRC won't clear the networks and server history, using either clear history or the dialog. Guessing at the problem, I tried editing "C:\Program Files (x86)\mIRC\servers.ini" and sure enough when I tried to save it I got "Access denied". How can I set up Windows 7 security and mIRC so mIRC will have permission to edit its own .ini files in the "Program Files (x86)" directory whenever it needs to?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
mIRC wouldn't be using those files under Windows 7.
To find the directory that mIRC is using, open mIRC (no need to connect, so don't worry about that), then type //echo -a $qt($mircdir)
The directory/path returned is where you need to look for the ini files that mIRC is using.

M
MadRat Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
Yes, I also have a servers.ini file in my "C:\Users\MadRat\AppData\Roaming\mIRC" directory and neither file is read-only, so why doesn't Clear History work and how can I fix it?

Last edited by MadRat; 18/10/10 08:11 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
How are you checking whether the history has been reset? When you clear the network/server history, the order of all servers should be reset to alphabetical order in both the servers.ini file and the File menu History menu item.

M
MadRat Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
blush Pleased to meet you.

In the menu bar under File, History it lists...
  • DALnet: Random server
  • DALnet: AS, MY, Mersa
  • DALnet: AS, SG, Hotspeed
  • DALnet: EU, NO, Powertech
  • DALnet: US, FL, Rumble
  • DALnet: US, NY, Broaday
  • EFnet: Random server
  • EFnet: AS, Israel
  • EFnet: CA, ON, Toronto
  • EFnet: EU, DK, Aarhus
  • DALnet >
  • EFnet >
  • GameSurge >
  • IRCnet >
  • LinkNet >
  • Quakenet >
  • Undernet >
  • UniBG >
  • WebChat >
  • Abjects >
  • ----------------
  • Clear History

What I expect is for that list be be emptied when I click Clear History and the five networks I use to appear in the list. If that isn't what the history list is supposed to do, I apologize for misunderstanding.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Your expectation makes sense. The reason the servers history menu continues to list servers after the history is cleared is that the menu actually serves several purposes (which users have become used to over the years): it lists your recent servers, it lists your top default servers (when it is reset by clearing history), and it is a quick servers access list. It should probably be renamed from "History" to "Servers".

Link Copied to Clipboard