mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
N3M3S1S Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
N
* Unable to connect to server (No Route to Host)

?

Does this mean the server is down? Everything was fine then I got disconnected with the message "Software caused connection abort" and have been trying to reconnect since, and every time I get "* Unable to connect to server (No Route to Host)" and a occasional "* Unable to connect to server (Connection Refused)" All other servers I am on are still connected and responsive. The server is irc.webchat.org

Last edited by N3M3S1S; 11/10/10 09:19 AM.

"There is no theory of evolution, only a list of creatures Chuck Norris allows to live."
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Normally this message means that either the server or the server host is down. One thing you can try is to ping the address through Windows, which will give results without going through mIRC.

To do this, if you don't know how, for Windows XP:
Start -> Run
Enter CMD <enter>
This will open a DOS window.
In that window type PING <address>

CMD and PING do not have to be in capitals and <address> is the address of the site you want to check.

In your case, it would be
Quote:
ping irc.webchat.org

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
In addition to pinging it, you can do a tracert to see where the problem lies if it's not the actual server that is down.

In that same command prompt where you used ping, replace ping with tracert. For example: tracert irc.webchat.org

It will check the entire route to the server. If you start seeing * instead of a time in the 3 time columns (columns 2-4... column 1 is just the counter), then you know that's where the problem is. Often, the last server that has times will give you an idea of where the problem is. Not that you can do much about that, but it at least explains why you have a problem. Those types of connection issues usually resolve themselves once the techs fix the server that's between you and webchat that isn't working.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard