mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
Nall Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
N
Only in this situation will this occur. I connect to a japanese network irc.2ch.net through a BNC server running znc. The channel windows already joined will show up after connecting. any attempt to join a channel mIRC will part the channel immediately. and messages from the channels are received as PM. I have run a debug window to compare messages with undernet and found no difference. I have also seen no difference in server messages saying I joined a channel, except mIRC send a request to part the channel right away. I have tested irssi on linux and found it to work with no problems. I have also upgraded znc and upgraded mIRC which has not solved the problem. znc will work with other servers through mIRC except this one. seeing as there's no difference from server messages I'm confused as to why mIRC responds this way, but I decided to submit it as a bug.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
What are the channel names you're joining?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
N
Nall Offline OP
OP Offline
N
#kokusai-international and #Nall both of which do the same thing.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I was able to join both channels with a clean copy of mIRC and no bnc. This pretty much isolates your bouncer (in this case znc) as the culprit. It means that znc is definitely doing something different, not mIRC, since mIRC behaves properly without a bouncer. I'd suggest checking your znc config or reconnecting. Perhaps you can ask in a znc support forum somewhere.

Also try without znc and confirm that you are able to join the channels.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
N
Nall Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Sorry. I should have mentioned that I can join without the bouncer. I was still hoping to find some reason though since other chat clients seem to work fine(one mentioned xchat worked also.) I'll check out znc's help channel to find out if they know of this problem and can tell me why it does that and if I can change certain settings to fix it. Thanks for checking it out for me though.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Are you sure znc is not sending the part on mIRC's behalf? It might be due to some connection setting you have that only targets mIRC.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
N
Nall Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I would have assumed that. but the request comes from mIRC according to the debug window. I'll paste it right here.
-> irc.2ch.net JOIN #Nall-testjoin
<- :Nall!Meow@host-72-174-217-121.bln-mt.client.bresnan.net JOIN :#Nall-testjoin
-> irc.2ch.net PART #Nall-testjoin
<- :irc.2ch.net 353 Nall = #Nall-testjoin :@Nall
<- :irc.2ch.net 366 Nall #Nall-testjoin :End of NAMES list.
<- :irc.2ch.net 324 Nall #Nall-testjoin +
<- :Nall!Meow@host-72-174-217-121.bln-mt.client.bresnan.net PART #Nall-testjoin :Nall

mirc sends the request to join(after I type /join #Nall-testjoin)
Server says I joined the channel. Right after that there's a request to part the channel with the arrow pointing the other way(like it's coming from mIRC). I'll also paste a raw event of a channel message which shows up as a PM.

<- :Nall!Meow@host-72-174-217-121.bln-mt.client.bresnan.net PRIVMSG #kokusai-international :>.>

One good question might be is if I can catch it as a raw event so I can write a script to make it show in the channel window. The raw prop doesn't seem to work. although I'd still be stuck with the channel being parted that only seems to happen when I try to join after connecting(the channels already joined will show up just fine) I noticed it also happens if I try to join from other clients mIRC will again part the channel.

Also I just disabled the custom theme script I wrote to make sure that wasn't the problem(it's the only script I use) I still encounter this problem.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Are you sure it's the only script you use?

In mIRC type the following:

//echo -a $version $os $md5($mircexe,2) $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0)

Report the results here.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
N
Nall Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Couldn't be more sure.
7.1 7 972d762e7e0ce8540400eebaaccd0ee0 1 0 0

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
I've run into a similar problem... just once... but mIRC basically treated all messages and notices as private... including CTCPs which we're passed thru showing the wrapping OxO1 characters. I've never been able to duplicate this.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
N
Nall Offline OP
OP Offline
N
glad I'm not alone. I thought I'd try the notices and ctcps but they don't go to the PM window. only the channel messages. I can still use irssi though. I managed to get japanese utf8 working on it. Some of it won't code properly but it looks as though it's a unicode that even mIRC doesn't use anymore. So I won't worry about it too much for now. I can just wait until someone knows exactly what the cause is and can help me out. Or maybe a new version of mIRC or znc. But until then I'll always be open to ideas.

Last edited by Nall; 08/09/10 07:55 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There are a number of situations where mIRC will automatically part a channel on a join:

1. The channel prefix is not recognized. mIRC accepts channel prefixes defined in the numeric 005 CHANTYPES token. If that is not defined, mIRC accepts basic channel prefixes such as # and others depending on the network.

2. The channel has been excluded in the mIRC Options/Other/Lock dialog.

3. mIRC is unable to create the channel window due to a lack of window resources.

Would any of the above apply to you?

N
Nall Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Awesome, I figured it out. Thank you! According to the debug AND status window it says CHANTYPES=~ are supported by this server. znc is telling mIRC that so I can join channels outside of the IRC server and within the bouncer only. But it didn't say # was supported as well. I'm guessing because the # isn't there mIRC was thinking # wasn't supported. But I also understand mIRC will assume # is supported but maybe only if it doesn't receive a 005 message. So by simply disabling the partyline feature mIRC doesn't get a 005 and everything appears to be working again. By disabling the partyline I simply typed
/msg *status unloadmod partyline
and to make sure I did a saveconfig and rehash(though a rehash might not be necessary). Again thanks for your help. It's much appreciated. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard