mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
K
KarlR Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
K
After upgrading to mIRC 7.1, identd appears to hang the entire client for around 5 seconds when listening. It also briefly hangs when the socket is closed.

This running on a fairly fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (less than a week old). I should mention that I have VitualBox installed (with its virtual networking adapters) and am using OpenSSL 0.9.8o.

I have attemped to disable the virtual adapter as well as IPv6, but this does not appear to help. I have also tried with the Windows firewall turned off. Note that identd does appear to listen successfully - it appears in netstat, and can respond to requests, but the "Enable only when connecting" option would need to be disabled to be effective for IRC.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Do you have UPnP support enabled in mIRC? If you do, does the "hang" go away if you disable UPnP support?

K
KarlR Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
K
Yes, UPnP support was enabled for "IdentD server". Turning it off seems to resolve any lag with identd.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for the feedback - different routers have slightly different implementations of UPnP that can make them handle UPnP more quickly or slowly than others. mIRC could use a separate thread for UPnP, although that might have other side-effects. I will look into it for the next version.

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Also want to note I experience mIRC completely freezes for a few seconds when connecting to an IRC server for the first time, when "Ident server" is checked in the UPnP options.

When I then go to UPnP options and deselect "Ident server", it reports UPnP support is not available on my system. (I would except the check only to occur when checking one of the UPnP options). But anyway, UPnP is enabled on my system (Windows 7) and on my router.

And now, some minutes later, it doesn't give the error anymore, but still freezes for some seconds when connecting.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
UPnP can be slow and unpredictable at times and this affects all applications that use UPnP (Search google for UPnP, slow, freeze, etc.). It also seems that if UPnP is configured incorrectly on your system, it can cause an application to crash. The issue is further complicated by firewalls, some of which can block UPnP or make it work intermittently. On my system I had to configure my software firewall since it was blocking UPnP UDP by default. To test your UPnP configuration you can use PortForward, a UPnP testing application.

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Forgot to mention, I've tested uPnP it with uTorrent successfully. It seems to be intermittend.

The full test reports:

Quote:

Congratulations!
If you see this message, then your router and your computer are correctly configured for receipt of incoming connections from the Internet

urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:InternetGatewayDevice:1

Link Copied to Clipboard