mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
If your default browser is IE, any link you double-click on in mIRC will open in a new window rather than a new tab.

By contrast, opening links from outlook, word, mumble, or even doing start > run > "http://www.google.com" all open in a new tab

the only way I can replicate this behaviour manually is by doing start > run > "iexplore.exe http://www.google.com" - if this is what mIRC is doing it's The Wrong Thing - it should just open the URL and let the OS work out what the browser is (as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307382 or similar)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The default double click behavior on links is to open a new window. If you want to open a new tab, then right click and choose Open.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As far as I can tell, mIRC is doing the right thing. Unfortunately it looks like both IE and Firefox are not interpreting the WWW_OpenURL DDE message correctly. Both ignore the parameter, indicating whether a new window should be opened or not, that mIRC passes in the WWW_OpenURL DDE message. In the case of IE, it always opens a new window, and in the case of Firefox, it always opens a new tab.

Previous versions of IE and Firefox did interpret the WWW_OpenURL DDE message correctly, however it seems they stopped doing so when they added tab support. If anyone can find a way to make IE or Firefox open a new window or a new tab, let me know.

If a browser is not currently open (as determined by a failed DDE request), mIRC passes the URL request to Windows which decides which browser to use.

Update: when I start > run > "http://www.google.com", I see the same behaviour. With IE, it always opens a new window, even if an IE window is currently open, and with Firefox, it always opens a new tab.

Update2: I just tested a number of applications, including several Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Visual Studio, Outlook, etc.), and they all display the same behaviour as mIRC.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Just a note with this. In IE, double clicking for me opened up a new window. Right click + Open = New tab (assuming IE is open already). This seems to be okay to me.

I just tried it in Firefox and double clicking gets me a new tab if Firefox is open, and Right click + Open also opens a new tab, but does not bring Firefox into focus for some reason. Double clicking or Right click > Open in new browser will bring it into focus and create the tab. It doesn't seem possible to open a new window. That seems incorrect to me.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It looks like both browsers have Tab settings in their Options dialogs that determine whether links are opened in tabs or new windows. I have not been able to find a way of overriding these settings with DDE, which is the standard method for opening links.

Firefox does support command line options -new-tab and -new-window (not sure which version they started supporting these - they may only work for recent versions of Firefox) but if I used these they would only work for Firefox and not for any other browser.

F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
Just a note with this. In IE, double clicking for me opened up a new window. Right click + Open = New tab (assuming IE is open already).

indeed

no matter what I do, double-clicking always opens in new window
if I right-click and do "open", it opens in a new window if I have IE set to open links from other programs in a new window; it opens in a new tab if I have IE set to open links from other programs in a new tab. When set to the second, right-clicking a link in mIRC and selecting "open in new browser" does still open in a new window

to me it seems like the double-click-a-link behaviour should be changed to do whatever right-click-and-select-open currently does

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: Khaled
It looks like both browsers have Tab settings in their Options dialogs that determine whether links are opened in tabs or new windows. I have not been able to find a way of overriding these settings with DDE, which is the standard method for opening links.

Firefox does support command line options -new-tab and -new-window (not sure which version they started supporting these - they may only work for recent versions of Firefox) but if I used these they would only work for Firefox and not for any other browser.

What about using COM?

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you open the Options/IRC/Catcher dialog, do you have the option "Open a new window" enabled in the "Web Browser" box? If you disable it, does that resolve your issue? This is a global option in mIRC and affects all features that open links. This option was added at a time when browsers did not support tabs - it probably should be disabled by default now, so that mIRC leaves the new tab/window behavior up to the default browser tab settings.

F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
ah, indeed laugh

with that option un-ticked, link-opening respects my browser's wishes (i.e. whether it opens in a new window, or a new tab, depends on the option set)

thanks for that

Link Copied to Clipboard