mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
B
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
B
Currently when you /echo without using the -t switch it will echo to the screen without a timestamp, BUT it will log it to the logfile WITH the current timetamp.

This produces ugly results when you want to insert your own custom timestamp, it makes lines like this in the logfile:
Code:
[2010/02/03-18:19:11] [2010/02/03-18:19:00] <YiYi> test message
and also displays them like that on the screen when reloading logs.

To work around the problem I now have to do an "/echo -g" to prevent it from logging to the logfile with the current timestamp and a "/write" to the channel logfile (I really don't like doing it like this but I have no choice) to finally make it log to the logfile but with a customized timestamp so that it doesn't look so ugly with 2 timestamps.

For example: I use a bouncer and when I re-attach to it, it plays back a buffer of what I missed while I was disconnected, like channel messages, notices, joins, parts, modes, etc..., making it look like I didn't disconnect at all, very nice stuff and integrates well with mIRC, but the way I currently have to use to accomplish this kindof sucks.

So basicly what I'm asking/suggesting is to make a new switch for the /echo command that prevents the current timestamp from being written to the logfile.
Or better yet, make it so that if the -t switch isn't specified it doesn't put a timestamp by itself in the logfile, exactly like when it echos without one on the screen.

Kind regards, BenderUnit

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'd like to see something to prevent this issue as well.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
Agreed. While a fairly minor issue, it has caused me some annoyances in the past.

Yar
E
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
E
+1

- Excalibur
- Good and Evil, there never is one without the other.
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
While I do not use my own time stamp format in any logs, I can see where this would be a valid request for people who do. I would bet Khaled when he sees this thread will reply.

Help others! It makes the world a better place, Makes you feel good, and makes you Healthy!
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Options > IRC > Logging > Uncheck Timestamp logs: ???

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
That prevents timestamps, which isn't what we want. We want to have timestamps, but due to how echo works with a custom timestamp, you can get double timestamps on any of the lines you echo. Basically, it shows once in the channel and twice in logs.

If you remove timestamps from logs, then you have to manually add the timestamp to everything and not just echos. For example, let's say I'm customizing QUIT messages, so I use echo with a custom timestamp with that. When logged, it logs the normal timestamp AND the echo'd timestamp. If I don't echo the timestamp, it will only log once, but there won't be a timestamp appearing in the channel itself. If I turn off log timestamps, then only the echos will have a timestamp in the logs unless I echo every single line with a custom timestamp.

Right now, if logging is off, it won't log timestamps unless your script (echo) displays it even if timestamps appear in the window. If logging is on, it will insert a timestamp in the log regardless of what's on the screen, which means that you get the double timestamps if you echo a line using a timestamp.

What I'd really like to see is logging that matches what is seen in the window being logged. In other words, if you have timestamps appearing in the window, then it will log those as they appear. So... timestamps turned off in logging options will not add timestamps if they aren't shown in the window, but if they are shown in the window, it will still add them because the window is requesting that timestamps be seen. It won't insert timestamps on a line that doesn't have one in the window, but will display it exactly as seen in the window. If timestamps are turned on, then it would always insert a timestamp no matter what (as it does now).

If anyone thinks the timestamp off option I suggested would be a problem for people, then a third option for "Timestamp using window settings" or "Timestamps match window" or something that will do an exact log of the lines including whatever timestamps are shown on the line (whether manually added with echo or automatically added based on the timestamp lines option).

I think most people who want timestamps would like a 1:1 log of what they see on their screen without ignoring automatic timestamps and inserting new ones, which is what happens now.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
B
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
B
It would be good if /echo in logfiles would simply behave exactly like it does on the screen, thereby accounting for the -t switch being specified or not, regardless of the timestamping option being enabled or disabled in the mIRC Options. That would be, in my opinion, the best and most logical solution to this problem, and probably the easiest one aswell. smile

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: BenderUnit
It would be good if /echo in logfiles would simply behave exactly like it does on the screen, thereby accounting for the -t switch being specified or not, regardless of the timestamping option being enabled or disabled in the mIRC Options. That would be, in my opinion, the best and most logical solution to this problem, and probably the easiest one aswell. smile

Exactly... why are logs treated differently?

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
T
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
T
I would really love for this to be implemented.

F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
I am FroggieDaFrog/SReject and I approve this message.

I am SReject
My Stuff
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
Having logs timestamps being based on -t would be nice.

Drawing it exactly the same would be not so. I know people that use small timestamps in their chat, and big timestamps in their logs. I used to do that myself for a while.

But having -t applying both the timestamp on screen (when enabled) and to logs (when enabled), each using their own format, should do the trick.

Learning something new every day.
B
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
B
It seems this is not going to make it into the new version?
Thats sad actually... frown

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Khaled rarely announces when suggestions if or when they will be implemented. Bug repairs, however, are a different matter, and he usually tries to fix them ASAP.

Link Copied to Clipboard