mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
M
So... My title was just too long... My question is ... What do I need to do to connect to mIRC behind a router?

I have an Cisco EPC2425 router and can't seem to find a tutorial on how and what to portforward FOR MY ROUTER to work with mIRC...

Everytime I try to connect to ANY channel/server with mIRC I receive an error like: Unable to resolve your hostname: Domain name not found. Using your IP address instead... and then I wait for hours and it keeps retrying and nothing... the same error...

Can someone give me a step-by-step tutorial on how to and what do I need to portforward/trigger/filter for my router to work with mIRC?

Thank you very much.

C
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
C
http://portforward.com/

This should help

Good luck

Happy mIRC user on Linux
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
That said, mIRC does not need any ports forwarded in your router to be able to connect to a server.

I sounds like your connection to the server is happenening but not completing for some reason. This sounds more like a firewall issue to me than a router issue.

Maybe if you start a debug window before connecting (type /debug @debug) and show us the output it will be more helpful.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks... This is what I get:

-> irc.makaiwell.com NICK [RO]M1Rc34
-> irc.makaiwell.com USER _RO_M1Rc34 "mirciulik" "irc.makaiwell.com" :Mirciulikkk
<- :starship.tx.us.makaiwell.com NOTICE Auth :*** Looking up your hostname...
<- :starship.tx.us.makaiwell.com NOTICE Auth :*** Could not resolve your hostname: Domain name not found; using your IP address (<my ip>) instead.

I don't use any firewall... Only windows default firewall...

Thank you and please help me out since it is very annoying

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You don't see anything else after that? That would be very strange.

Maybe you should also try to connect with a different nickname since your current nickname could be mistaken for a bot nick.

M
OP Offline
M
I just tried with a different non-symbol nick and the same thing...
I forgot to tell you that sometimes it connects to the server but I can't use any command/join any channels...

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
This has nothing to do with a firewall or router. The server/network, or your link between the server/network is under extreme lag and/or losing packets. Packets can be lost/delayed if your duplex settings are incorrect, so I'd have a look there first wink

Last edited by s00p; 29/12/09 05:04 PM.
M
OP Offline
M
Can you please explain where can I find those settings and how should I modify them?

Thanks.

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
No. It's system dependent. I'd suggest reading about Duplex Mismatch, then consulting the manuals regarding your OS, router, etc, etc.

edit: of course, if you're browsing fine, it could be a duplex mismatch on the other side wink or it could be some serious DoS... Have you tried consulting the administrator yet?

Last edited by s00p; 01/01/10 01:43 AM.
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the advice... Yes, I consulted the router manuals and nothing... I went to configure my ethernet adapter and yes, the auto-negotiation was Enabled ( That's what I got when I searched how to fix a duplex mismatch from wikipedia )... And I didn't consult my administrator...

The problem is still here... frown

P
P
I have the exact same problem as the OP Mirciulikkk.

Using a Cisco EPC 2425 router since last Friday. Before that I was using a Atlanta Scientific router which worked perfectly for mIRC. Both are cable modems installed by cable company.

Nothing on the PC was changed in the changeover of routers to cause the problem. Relevant ports 113 and 6660-6669 are forwarded. Router manual is not on portforward.com either.

Now when i connect to any server on any network I do get the following for example(with local host/ip info cleared in options/connect). This connects quickly but it picks up the IRC server hostname/IP as my real hostname/IP!!
------------------------------------------------------------
* Connecting to helsinki.fi.eu.Undernet.org (6669)
-
-helsinki.fi.eu.Undernet.org- *** Looking up your hostname
-
-helsinki.fi.eu.Undernet.org- *** Checking Ident
-
-helsinki.fi.eu.Undernet.org- *** Couldn't look up your hostname
-
* Identd request from 195.197.175.21
* Identd replied: 60953, 6669 : USERID : UNIX : ppgurra
-
-helsinki.fi.eu.Undernet.org- *** Got ident response
-
Welcome to the UnderNet IRC Network via Wippies, ppgurra

End of /MOTD command.
-
-Helsinki.FI.EU.Undernet.org- on 1 ca 1(4) ft 10(10)
-
Local host: irc2.saunalahti.fi (195.197.175.21)
-----------------------------------------------------------

Then I am unable to do any commands like /whois ppgurra or join a channel as nothing happens when I enter them. After a short while i do get the usual 'software caused connection abort'

----------------------------------------------------------------
Local host: irc2.saunalahti.fi (195.197.175.21)
-
* [10053] Software caused connection abort
-
* Disconnected
-
* Connect retry #1 helsinki.fi.eu.Undernet.org (6669)
-
-helsinki.fi.eu.Undernet.org- *** Looking up your hostname

After the software abort, the nick is just left on the server for a few minutes before timing out like a severe lag.

Debug window:

-> helsinki.fi.eu.Undernet.org NICK ppgurra
-> helsinki.fi.eu.Undernet.org USER ppgurra "hotmail.com" "helsinki.fi.eu.Undernet.org" :ppgurra
<- NOTICE AUTH :*** Looking up your hostname
<- NOTICE AUTH :*** Checking Ident
<- NOTICE AUTH :*** Couldn't look up your hostname
<- PING :3167564465
-> helsinki.fi.eu.Undernet.org PONG :3167564465
<- NOTICE AUTH :*** Got ident response
<- :Helsinki.FI.EU.Undernet.org 001 ppgurra :Welcome to the UnderNet IRC Network via Wippies, ppgurra
-> Helsinki.FI.EU.Undernet.org USERHOST ppgurra
<- :Helsinki.FI.EU.Undernet.org 002 ppgurra :Your host is Helsinki.FI.EU.Undernet.org, running version u2.10.12.12(2)
<- :Helsinki.FI.EU.Undernet.org 376 ppgurra :End of /MOTD command.
<- :Helsinki.FI.EU.Undernet.org NOTICE ppgurra :on 2 ca 1(4) ft 10(10) tr
<- :Helsinki.FI.EU.Undernet.org 302 ppgurra :ppgurra=+ppgurra@195.197.175.21
-> Helsinki.FI.EU.Undernet.org MODE ppgurra +i
-> Helsinki.FI.EU.Undernet.org WHOIS ppgurra
-> Helsinki.FI.EU.Undernet.org JOIN #help
-> helsinki.fi.eu.Undernet.org NICK ppgurra
-> helsinki.fi.eu.Undernet.org USER ppgurra "hotmail.com" "helsinki.fi.eu.Undernet.org" :ppgurra
<- NOTICE AUTH :*** Looking up your hostname
<- NOTICE AUTH :*** Checking Ident
<- NOTICE AUTH :*** Couldn't look up your hostname
------------------------------------------------------------
I've been on IRC for many years and never had this problem before. Out of maybe 50 attempts at connecting, 1 or 2 will get through without the lag but still with the wrong IP/hostname.
Its the same issue with Xchat, IceChat and hIRC so I think suspicions are towards the router.

Also, i found the following on the web. Would it be a packet problem?
post 18 about filtering IRC packets
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62796755

M
OP Offline
M
Can anyone help us, please?

P
P
Originally Posted By: Mirciulikkk
Can anyone help us, please?

Mirciulikkk, after weeks of chasing this issue with my ISP(who don't want to know) and testing loads of IRC programs, i've managed to login to a single IRC Undernet server using basic webchat on www.mibbit.com.

None of the servers on undernet/Efnet/quakenet etc would let me connect in Mirc/Icechat/xChat/hIRC etc. I use Undernet only for chat and only 1 single server has allowed me to connect properly, that one is Elsene.Be.Eu.undernet.org.

The other servers on mibbit were giving 'too many connections from your host' which could mean exactly what it says or just refusing connections on a lack of reverse DNS at my end.

What are they doing right that the rest of the IRC servers are not?

Undernet webchat still does not work, same issue as mIRC outlined in my previous post

On the topic of the Cisco 2425 router, my friend who lives around the corner from me using XP has the exact same issue as us so it is the router 'blocking' IRC.

I've tested it on XP and Windows 7, its the same problem so get onto your ISP about it!

Why would Cisco block IRC in the first place?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Who provided the Cisco router?

I have 3 Cisco routers in use and have no problems connecting to any IRC network through them, once I got the various ports set up correctly using help from PortForward.com

I did have trouble with one Cisco router that was provided by my ISP, as it was configured by them for the purposes of providing a static IP address. It took awhile (they didn't want to admit that it was their equipment), but after about 2 months they agreed that the problem was with their router and replaced it with another Cisco router (different model), and I've had no further problems.

Thus if the Cisco router was provided by your ISP, and you can eliminate all of the other possibilities (ie: being able to connect with the router not inline, but not able with it inline), then it is your ISP's responsibility to provide working equipment.

If the router was not provided by your ISP, then I suggest you contact the retailer or Cisco for a replacement. Which you contact will depend on the warranty period provided by the retailer.

P
P
The ISP provided the Cisco EPC2425 router. It ain't listed on portforward.com either for basic connection. Forwarding 113 & 6660-6669 made no difference.

Cannot change router either as their modem/routers can only be used on their network.

Reverse DNS is impossible. Any site trying to lookup my hostname will only find its IP!

I'm in an ongoing battle with them to admit their part in the problem as their previous router(non-Cisco) worked fine for IRC.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Note that the majority of ISPs (at least in the US) will allow you to register a new MAC address if you request it. It's this new MAC address on a new modem and/or router that would have to be registered with them to allow you to use a different one than what they provide. Usually, just call them and ask to register a new MAC address because your current router/modem doesn't work and they'll do it in a matter of minutes.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
P
P
I'm outside the US, they won't allow that(MAC address thing).

However when I eventually got through to a real techie on the ISP's end on a long support call, the problem outlined on the thread was replicated at their end using webchat on a laptop connected to the Cisco 2425 router which proved my point to them smile

After that happened, they promised me to give my old modem back where IRC worked. Will keep you posted!

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: ppgurra
The ISP provided the Cisco EPC2425 router. It ain't listed on portforward.com either for basic connection. Forwarding 113 & 6660-6669 made no difference.

Cannot change router either as their modem/routers can only be used on their network.

Reverse DNS is impossible. Any site trying to lookup my hostname will only find its IP!

I'm in an ongoing battle with them to admit their part in the problem as their previous router(non-Cisco) worked fine for IRC.

Scientific Atlanta *is* a division of Cisco. And port forwarding isn't going to matter in this situation at all. Though there is no question Cisco needs to fix firmware on that router...

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
P
P
All, the issue is now fixed. The ISP upgraded the firmware on the router and voila, mIRC has been working fine since then.

On connect, mIRC found my IP correctly and found my hostname as 'my PC name' if that helps.

Also, DCC send worked a treat, I just forwarded the 1024-1054 ports for example in both mIRC and the router, then it worked grand.

Link Copied to Clipboard