Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
U
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
U
Hello all, long time mIRC user.. First time bug reporter.. :P

Any ways, I've been checking out the RC of Windows 7 (64-bit) and found a small, but annoying, bug in mIRC 6.35. When using the switchbar (or toolbar) ALL icons on the desktop flash in and out existence, or blink. Both the icons and the description text underneath them.

The best way to produce it is to connect any network and a channel and just flip back and forth between the status window and the channel window. It doesn't take long at all to happen.

I can confirm these things:
- This also happens with a totally clean install of mIRC 6.35
- This does NOT happen with mIRC 6.16 and mIRC 6.21 (I was using those until today when I upgraded to 6.35)

I'm not sure if it happens with 32-bit Windows 7 but I may test that out tomorrow.

U
OP Offline
U
Quick update: I installed the 32-bit Windows 7 RC on my laptop today and confirmed the same bug occurs there as well.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
So this problem is in the Windows 7 ? , Are you sure that this is an mIRC bug or not an Windows 7 RC problem?, be sure that is an mIRC problem! please report you mIRC result's here from this code:

//echo -a $md5($mircexe,2) $version $os $script(0) $dll(0)

Last edited by westor; 07/07/09 10:13 PM.

Need Online mIRC help or an mIRC Scripting Freelancer? -> https://irc.chathub.org <-
U
OP Offline
U
I don't think it's a Windows 7 RC issue considering it does not happen with versions 6.16 and 6.21, not to mention I've never seen it happen with ANY other program. I think something changed in some version of mIRC after 6.21 that Windows 7 does not like.

Of course I would not take the time to register and report if I felt this was NOT a bug with mIRC. wink

2f63a83968f9586fe4fb48134253619c 6.35 Vista 1 0

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
LOL? , Why you said that you are using Windows 7 RC while your $os result was Vista??

2f63a83968f9586fe4fb48134253619c 6.35 Vista 1 0

Need Online mIRC help or an mIRC Scripting Freelancer? -> https://irc.chathub.org <-
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Because that's what $os returns under Win7 until it's updated.

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Try v6.3, 6.31 etc. too would be good to know on which version it starts to happen

one step closer to world domination
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
unable to duplicate here with 32bit windows7 and mirc6.35

(2f63a83968f9586fe4fb48134253619c 6.35 Vista 2 0 for those interested) smile

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
U
OP Offline
U
@CtrlAltDel: Did you attempt it with a completely clean install of mIRC 6.35? Also, are you using the RC (build 7100) or Windows 7 or a newer leaked build?

For the record the behavior of the blinking icons is nearly the same as sitting on your desktop and refreshing it repeatedly with the F5 key.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

I was unable to reproduce it here as well with 6.35 on Win7 RC (7100) 64-bit

Originally Posted By: Ultraflesh

Did you attempt it with a completely clean install of mIRC 6.35?

Also, are you using the RC (build 7100)...

Yes and Yes.

U
OP Offline
U
Strange. I've reproduced it on 3 different machines now (2 32-bit, and 1 64-bit), all with completely different hardware configurations.

Try refreshing your desktop with the F5 key (hold it down if you have to) and see if the icons disappear?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
@CtrlAltDel: Did you attempt it with a completely clean install of mIRC 6.35? Also, are you using the RC (build 7100)

yes, and yes .. for the record, the 2 scripts installed are both by me (one a login script, and one a "services popups" script).

Try refreshing your desktop with the F5 key (hold it down if you have to) and see if the icons disappear?

yes

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Still nothing.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I have not been able to reproduce this issue either so far - tested mIRC 6.35 under Windows 7 RC build 7100. If I select the desktop and hold own F5 the desktop refreshes and the icons flicker, as expected. If I then switch to mIRC and open several windows, such as channels, and switch between them using Control+Tab, or clicking on the switchbar or treebar, the desktop icons do not flicker.

I think we may need to narrow this down a little - for example, if you turn off the treebar and switchbar through the "View" menu in mIRC and then Control+Tab to switch windows, do the desktop icons still flicker?

U
OP Offline
U
It's really strange that no one else can reproduce it. :\ Like I said I've done it on 3 machines which all have totally different hardware configurations.

I've tried mIRC with menubar/switchbar/treebar/toolbars disabled and placed in all sorts of positions. My first thought was that somehow it was tied to the new treebar.

I've been experimenting with it some more though, and I now think it is related to tooltips in some way.

Here another, perhaps better/more reliable, way to reproduce it:
1) Open mIRC, a server status window, and a channel window (more channels will work, but 1 will do)
2) Mouse over the Status window on the switchbar until the tooltip pops up (ie. "Status: Nickname [+mode] on Server (host:6667)")
3) Without moving the mouse cursor off the switchbar (very important) mouse over the channel window (channel windows have no tooltip) and the desktop icons should immediately be blinking fairly rapidly (several times per second) for as long as you leave your mouse there or anywhere on the switchbar other than the status window.

With any luck someone can reproduce it this way. I may look into seeing what version it first appears in if not, all I can say for now is it's not in v6.21.

S
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
S

3) Without moving the mouse cursor off the switchbar (very important) mouse over the channel window (channel windows have no tooltip) and the desktop icons should immediately be blinking fairly rapidly (several times per second) for as long as you leave your mouse there or anywhere on the switchbar other than the status window.

This one causes 100% core usage on my Win7 64bit system. No icon blinking though.

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted By: Savior82

This one causes 100% core usage on my Win7 64bit system. No icon blinking though.

Yup I hadn't realized it until more recently but my CPU usage also shoots up to ~60-80% (fluctuates) when doing that as well. This is on an E6600 Core 2 Duo processor.

Strange that no one else gets the icon blinking though. I'm glad someone besides me noticed something though. smile

T
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
T
Hello all, long time mIRC user.. First time bug reporter.. :P

Any ways, I've been checking out the RC of Windows 7 (64-bit) and found a small, but annoying, bug in mIRC 6.35. When using the switchbar (or toolbar) ALL icons on the desktop flash in and out existence, or blink. Both the icons and the description text underneath them.

The best way to produce it is to connect any network and a channel and just flip back and forth between the status window and the channel window. It doesn't take long at all to happen.

I can confirm these things:
- This also happens with a totally clean install of mIRC 6.35
- This does NOT happen with mIRC 6.16 and mIRC 6.21 (I was using those until today when I upgraded to 6.35)

I'm not sure if it happens with 32-bit Windows 7 but I may test that out tomorrow.

dude, I registered here just to report this bug... omfg it is annoying me!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone fix it????

P.S. I am using the RTM build 7600.

Last edited by tylerward; 06/08/09 06:10 AM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Quote:
dude, I registered here just to report this bug... omfg it is annoying me!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone fix it????

A bug fix requires (minimum) the following steps:
1) The bug must be reported
2) The bug must be reproducable
3) The cause of the bug must be eliminated from all other possible sources.
4) Khaled must be able to fix the bug.
5) Khaled must release a version of mIRC with the bug fixed.

Since there has been no release of mIRC since the original bug report, the only step that can be confirmed as being done is the first one.

S
S
I've got it here too. Click the status window then hover the mouse over the next channel window button and the desktop flickers on and off. Using win7 rtm and the aero desktop mode. If you switch to basic mode it doesnt do it. I tried turning off the desktop picture just to see if its doing some pallette swapping but that doesnt help.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard