Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
DJ_Sol Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
Originally Posted By: DJ_Sol

I can put echo's on my /scid's but I don't know how to reproduce this error.

Yes I did loop through the scon's and checked each cid and none returned 25.

My question was whether there was a way to refresh what mIRC thinks are my connections without restarting mIRC or closing existing connections.

You know , just forget it. It is impossible to talk about issues here. Yer so hellbent on making me wrong you totally missed my question every time.

I will disconnect now before closing the status window. I think this should fix my issue. But, of course, I have no idea unless it arises again.

If mIRC were my project and I saw this post I would say to myself, "hmm maybe I should look into making sure connections close properly and mirc doesnt hold on to old, unused connection ids." But that's just me.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Quote:
You know , just forget it. It is impossible to talk about issues here. Yer so hellbent on making me wrong you totally missed my question every time.
Have you simply tried a clean install of mIRC 6.35 ? Have you, then, stated any of this error ?

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
There's no way to refresh mIRC's connection IDs because it would defeat the object of having connection IDs. You would have to restart mIRC. But that won't fix anything because the error will inevitably happen again so it's not benefiting anyone to pretend it doesn't exist. As I already explained connection IDs refer to the Status Window and not the connection itself, meaning that disconnecting before closing a status window is entirely irrelevant to the problem.

As I have also said at least once in this thread, nobody else experiences this problem. If hundreds of thousands of people use an application and only a single person has a problem which is an error message from a scripted command, what's the logical first place to look for the cause? It doesn't mean that it's impossible that there's a problem with mIRC but you're apparently not even willing to take basic steps to debug your script. You won't display the script so we can find the error, won't edit the script to help you find the error, seemingly won't accept any kind of answer that doesn't involve mIRC being at fault.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Yes I did loop through the scon's and checked each cid and none returned 25

Also, of course none returned 25, mIRC already keeps telling you that it doesn't exist.

D
DJ_Sol Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
Only 1% of the people that I know who use mIRC actually script. Out of that 1% maybe 5% at the most script for multi-network connections. So yeah, maybe it seems like noone else gets the issue, but if noone took their car out of the garage noone would have any car issues either.

lol Rock, quite right ...

I have presented all instances of scid in my script. And it has only happened once. Years ago I saw this error a number of times with a different script. If it happens again I will echo the scids for you.

As for basic steps to debug, I know every line of my script and what it does so I know it isn't getting connection 25 from me anywhere.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
You obviously don't fully understand every single line in your scripts or you wouldn't be here with this problem.

Again, as mentioned, your a) stubbornness to not properly debug your script, b) refusal to try this in a clean mirc and c) unwillingness to actually show your script makes this a completely pointless 2 page conversation.

Are you just here to say "mIRC is wrong I'm right!" or do you actually want a solution? If you want a solution it seems logical to me that you would actually do what is suggested. I don't see how you think claiming you're all-knowing is productive when you're the one with the problem.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
D
DJ_Sol Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
wow, mr angry guy ....

I'd have to reproduce the error to be able to echo it. Is that stubborness? I'd have to reproduce the error to try it in a clean mirc. I have shown all uses of scid in my script.

I never claimed to be all knowing, otherwise I wouldn't have asked the question about connection id cleanup.

And yes I do know what my scripts do, I wrote them. I'm thinking that messing around with disconnecting and reconnecting caused mirc to not delete data saying I had a connection open named 25.

And seriously, why do you approach all these issues with such attitude? What can you possibly learn if your mind is already made up as to what the answer is?

T
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
T
Hi,
To me it seem that the message you are getting in your status window "* No such connection id: 25" is a response from mirc to something happening in your script. Therefore it must be something to do with your script and not with mirc. Your script is asking for connection id 25 and mirc is telling you that it doesnt exist. Maybe I have missed the real problem here...

After I die, I hope people say," That guy sure owed me alot of money."
D
DJ_Sol Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
Yeah pretty much. Everyone is so defensive about mIRC. In my initial post where did I blame it all on mIRC and say mIRC is bugged and broken and generally sucks? I simply asked if there was a way to have mIRC clean up its connection list.

Ya know...

Code:
[list]
1=networkA
2=networkB
3=networkC

if (!$scid(1)) { remini file.ini list 1 }

And yes, my code showed the issue with its /scid $cid when $cid = 25 and 25 doesn't exist.

But I don't see how my code would cause mIRC to not delete cid 25 from its list.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Is the numerical item in your list the cid value?
To state again what has been said before: cids aren't meant to be in any particular order. Open 3 cons, close 2 cons, open 1 con - the cid of the last one has not to be 4 (or 2). A cid is nothing but an unique ID per connection. (with cons I mean "status windows".)

I don't understand why you want to "clean up the cids" - this could break scripts who refer to a particular cid.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
I found the fix for your issue. Feel free to try it.

Code:
/exit -nr

D
DJ_Sol Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
Originally Posted By: MTec007
I found the fix for your issue. Feel free to try it.

Code:
/exit -nr

I know I can restart mIRC and it will be ok, but I'd prefer to be able to fix it if it arises. smile

Any suggestions?

Russel, the list was an example. The point would be to remove any cid's no longer in use, not remove any in use.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
Everyone is so defensive about mIRC. In my initial post where did I blame it all on mIRC and say mIRC is bugged and broken and generally sucks? I simply asked if there was a way to have mIRC clean up its connection list.

And yes, my code showed the issue with its /scid $cid when $cid = 25 and 25 doesn't exist.

The second part answers the first. You're saying that there's a bug in mIRC that's causing it to return invalid values for $cid. What just about everyone else has been saying throughout this whole thread is that nobody else appears to have this problem and the more likely cause is a line in your script that you've missed. There isn't a 'clean up CIDs' feature in mIRC because there should be no need - if CIDs needed 'cleaning up' it would be a bug in mIRC to be fixed.

D
DJ_Sol Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
So something in my scripts caused mIRC to not know cid 25 was closed?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
As I tried to point out earlier, CID's are assigned when a connection is established, but they are not unassigned when that connection is closed.
At some point a CID of 25 was created, and later on, that connection was closed. mIRC sees that there is no connection for CID 25 and returns the error you are getting.

D
DJ_Sol Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
CID's aren't unassigned yes.

At some point cid 25 was created, yes. And at some point cid 25 was closed, but somehow it slipped by mIRC because now, hypothetically now since I do not know how to recreate it, /scid $cid returns /scid 25. So mIRC says /scid 25 but there is no connection 25 open.

Ok, my question was answered. "No", there is no way to refresh mIRC's connection info.

Is it a mIRC bug? I personally don't care. Logic tell's me noone is perfect, not even Khaled. :p Experience tells me not many push mIRC as I do. Experience also tells me, just as my code that works with 99% if the people, there is always that 1% that finds the little bug you (I) missed or didnt think wuold be an issue. Granted it works fine on 99% of everyones machines, if it doesn't work on 100% then there is an error in your code/foundation. It's usually something small you didn't see or hoped noone would catch. This is my experience writing scripts for the public.

Ok, can I stress again, noone is perfect? Nor are we intended to be.

Thank You.

Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
So something in my scripts caused mIRC to not know cid 25 was closed?
As others have said, no. It's not an issue of mirc not knowing that cid 25 was closed. Judging by the fact that thousands of scripters have been using $cid since it was introduced and it's only you who seems to have a problem with it, I would bet my right arm that it's something in your script going wrong, not mirc. And if I were you, I wouldn't even consider the possibility that the absence of similar reports is due to the fact that "not many push mirc as you do": frankly, this is a quite naive point of view, especially since you can't back up your claims.

Is it a mIRC bug? I personally don't care.
This is quite confusing - if you don't care why did you bother creating and maintaining this thread? If you really want to get to the root of the problem, you should care, and you should also listen to what others are trying to tell you.

Nobody here is getting defensive on mirc but even if people show a tendency to dismiss a problem as a mirc bug in the absence of evidence, they are perfectly justified: if I had a penny for every bug report I've seen that turned out to be a script problem, I'd be rich.

Again, $cid never returns a value that does not correspond to an existing session. The sooner you come to terms with this, the sooner this thread will die (something long overdue).

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Originally Posted By: qwerty

(something long overdue).

Indeed.

D
DJ_Sol Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
Well my man, it did. I posted all instances of /scid in my script. They all use $cid, so I dont understand.

I didn't make this post to announce a bug or potential bug. I wanted to know if there was a way to clean up the cid list since /scid $cid was returning /scid 25 and cid 25 had been closed long before.

And yes, they were getting defensive. I asked a question but pretty much everyone ignored it to tell me it wasn't a mirc bug. I didn't ask if it was a mirc bug or even insinuate it was a bug, I asked if I could maintain the cid list.

$cid never returns a value that does not correspond to an existing session

So tell me then, where was the corresponding session? (it had been closed hours earlier by the way)

And I'm not the only one who has experienced this issue. I'm just the only who has posted about it here.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
I wanted to know if there was a way to clean up the cid list since /scid $cid was returning /scid 25 and cid 25 had been closed long before.

And yes, they were getting defensive. I asked a question but pretty much everyone ignored it to tell me it wasn't a mirc bug. I didn't ask if it was a mirc bug or even insinuate it was a bug, I asked if I could maintain the cid list.

People ignored your question because it seems very likely that your question was based on a false premise (that $cid was reporting an invalid ID). If mIRC was reporting an invalid ID in $cid as you keep asserting then there wouldn't be a feature to reset it, it would be a bug that would have to be fixed. That is why everyone is setting your original question aside - because either way it's irrelevant to the situation. There's a bug to be fixed here somewhere, the only question is whether that bug is in mIRC or in your script. On that note, it seems you're the one who's getting defensive because you refuse to acknowledge the possibility that there's something wrong with your script even though I've already pointed out that the usage of /scid that you've posted so far is completely redundant and stems from a misunderstanding of how /scid works.

This isn't a witch hunt, but some of us do care if mIRC has a bug in it which is why it's useful to find the true cause of your issue. At this point however I think it's time to give up. I've repeated myself at least three times in this thread and you seem to have a mental block on understanding anything I say so I'm ready to write this off as a scripting error and leave you to deal with that since you clearly don't want any help in that area.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard