mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
people have agreed a switch would be nice already. Personally, I think you're becoming agitated because you feel we're saying your idea doesnt have merit. Quite the opposite, we like the idea, but we're suggesting MIRC isnt the one with the problem to fix.

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
If this was directed at me, you misread my post. I meant wine has a problem to fix, period. It shouldn't be added just to fix wine's bugs... BUT, because some users may not like line numbers, there should be a toggle. However I do understand that Khaled cannot please everybody.

Originally Posted By: RoCk

I can respect wanting a switch because you don't like the line numbers, but not the other reason at all. I personally like having it there because it's nice to have as a reference when scrolling vertically. It made life just a little bit easier.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

I was replying to the OP. I don't oppose a toggle, although I can't really see how the line numbers could be bothersome, however I do disagree that the toggle should be added because the feature doesn't work correctly under an emulator.

Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
well, as one person said, he finds them a bit annoying because of the changing width, even tho he suggested a different idea, thats an exmaple.. the emulator is not the only reason..

This is not the signature you are looking for
T
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
There is no reason that a request to help mIRC successfully work under Wine is a bad idea, allthough I agree, it is a fault in Wine, I'm sure Khaled would prefer to see more paying customers happy for a quick fix (a switch).

This is the reason I downgraded on my ubuntu installation, even though I like the line numbers.

The reason people are posting here, is because from experience, Khaled listens to and respects users.

Thanks Khaled!

[02:16] * Titanic has quit IRC (Excess Flood)
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
(Note: all "you"'s should be taken in the general term, this is not a direct reply to anybody in particular)

No offense but people here have been wasting so much time complaining to the WRONG PERSON. You should be taking this up with wine, not Khaled. Have you even submitted a post or email on their mailing list notifying them of the bug? I assume not. A patch in their software could have been disseminated within days if they actually were made aware this is a problem instead of waiting months wining on a messageboard for someone to fix your problem the *wrong* way.

I oppose any changes in software that add bloat to a feature-set when the justification is a hack/workaround to a bug in other software that isn't even meant to be supported-- ESPECIALLY when that software is open source and has a much faster release cycle than mIRC.

Conclusion: Frankly, if you (anybody who's complaining) haven't yet contacted WINE HQ about the issue, this thread is completely moot and you (everybody who's complaining) shouldn't be posting here.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
You can fix the line number issue under WINE (plus a couple of other bugs including the Remote tab crash bug) by disabling the richedit20 library when running mIRC. If you don't know how to do that, follow the steps below:

• Run winecfg from the command-line.
  • Add mIRC to the application settings list
  • Select mIRC in the list (the dialog's titlebar should change to say "Wine configuration for mirc.exe")
  • Go to the Libraries tab
  • Select richedit20 from the overrides dropdown and press Add to add it to the override listbox
  • Select richedit20 in the override listbox and press Edit
  • Select Disable in the dialog and press OK
  • Press OK in the winecfg dialog

The line numbers should display just fine now under WINE. The only bug I've experienced from doing this is that pressing return in the Script Editor seems to add two new lines instead of one. Not ideal, but at least you can see what's in the box now.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
_
Babel fish
Babel fish
_
ALSO.. I've experienced display glitches in addition to "weird" input errors, but after installing CrossOver Pro 7 everything was squared away.

Just to ring in my two cents as I'm a paying customer AND (ex) avid scripter in the community:

1. A single toggle feature (an additional menu item and a one byte setting in mirc.ini) DOESN'T bloat the program unlike other features that cater to the FEW versus the MANY. I'll spare my opinions and rants of such features, as I feel everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and preferences.

2. As more Linux distributions mature, in addition of becoming more popular, the community can expect to see an influx of these "unrelated" issues such as arise with new converts wishing to partake in the mIRC community. Pointing the finger at the respective cause (this case being the emulator) is poor camaraderie. Those of you that focus your effort in assisting others in the community should be ashamed of yourselves. Those of you operating the help channels will assist someone with BASIC scripting help for HOURS, but if something unfamiliar comes along your way, you run cowardly to your scapegoat pointing proudly.

Yes, this wasn't a Windows issue, but if something as simple as being able to disable a new feature in mIRC (like the many other switchable ones) would resolve the issue, then WHY knock it on that principle? Because YOU don't use Wine? Because it doesn't effect YOU? For every new version of Windows, there seems to be a lot of compatibility added/changes to cater to those needing them to run mIRC properly *cough*Vista*cough*. Yet hardly anybody complains over THAT bloat!

Think about what you're snapping at next time before you reply. Btw starbucks, thank you for ringing in with the fix. Quite a few people have been griping about it in the various Wine lists, so I'm sure they'll wonder over too =/

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Originally Posted By: _Memo
Those of you that focus your effort in assisting others in the community should be ashamed of yourselves.

And why should I (or anybody else) be ashamed of ourselves? There is little that can be done by any one of us to assist you with this problem. The manner in which you were ultimately helped was *entirely* due to starbucks_mafia pointing the finger at wine and fixing the problem there. If you *expect* people on this forum to fix your wine installation, you're in the wrong place. In any case, nobody here has anything to be ashamed of, and we all take pride in helping people with mIRC issues *when there is something that can be done*. The pointing of fingers in this case is completely justified- the problem is indeed caused by a wine bug, the proper solution is *not* to change mirc for the bug's sake.

I use wine. The *wine bug* pisses me off. However, if my level of caring rose above my "do something about it" threshold, I would consult the people at Wine, not mIRC, about fixing it. I don't solve my problems by asking for features in mIRC to be disabled in order to hide a problem with other software-- *that* is bloat. More importantly, I wouldn't consider disabling the lines as a valid solution to the problem regardless if mIRC implemented it because I'd want the lines to show up in Wine.

Every one of my personal decision flowcharts has inevitably gravitated to Wine needing the fix, so the conclusion is 100% valid in my eyes. Now, if a user has a valid reason to suggest this feature (like finding that the line display takes up too much room), I would support that suggestion. But if the suggestion is simply there to hide a bug in wine, we return to my decision flowchart and come full circle to wine needing a fix.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I wouldn't normally make a change in mIRC to get around a Wine limitation since issues like this only help to improve Wine's compatibility. For this particular feature though, quite a few people who aren't using Wine have requested it, so I'll be adding an option to show/hide the line numbers in the next version.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard