mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
P
Hello,

Happened upon a buglet that exists in mIRC (and perhaps other clients - haven't been able to investigate this).

Lets say there is a channel #c.d. and you /invite someone too it if they try to accept the invite or click on the channel name it won't take them to #c.d. it will take them to #c.d it ignores the "." at the end of the line. Same if you /whois someone and try to click on it to join, if you /join then you will join as expected.

This exists in mIRC 6.02 and 6.03 and probably all previous versions, it's hardly a horrible thing, but though I'd mention the odd unexpected behavior.

HTH

Pagan999

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
<dude> You're all welcome to join my #channel. It's cool place with lotsa things 'n' stuff.
What should doubleclicking #channel do:
a) join #channel.
b) join #channel
c) cause error and BSoD and what else, well, in windows this is possible even if it isn't coded into mIRC grin
d) start DDoS attack to the lame owner of channel coz he has stupid channel names, with dots in 'em?

You can freely use simple on HOTLINK script to make your own function for #channel doubleclicking if you're not pleased with Khaled thinking channel names shouldn't end in ".".

Last edited by theRat; 14/04/03 12:28 PM.

Code:
//if ( khaled isgod ) echo yes | else echo no
R
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
R
It's not only with a "." at the end, for excample I have this channel: #(.)(.) double ckick on it and you join #(.)(.

@#botwars @Kreynet
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
This is why, (and it goes for you too rela)..

It's a builtin function, because if someone says:

"Join #channel!" or "i like #channel." or "channel:(#channel)"

by omitting the punctuation at the end, mIRC is trying to make sure that it will get the channel name right as often as possible. Of course, this can't always work, there will be instances where the punctuation is deliberate, as part of the channel name. However, it is more common for it to just be 'surrounding' the channel name, so mIRC, very rightly so, interprets it this way.

"/j #channel." is not a giant task.

<Ingo> I can't uninstall it, there seems to be some kind of "Uninstall Shield"
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
/topic #mychan Welcome to #mychan. (For help join #myhelp)

now should that join #myhelp or #myhelp)?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Choice A is what happens for me.

d) start DDoS attack to the lame owner of channel coz he has stupid channel names, with dots in 'em?

I suppose if there occasional fullstop is a channel then that is fine. The network I use has fullstops in many channel names though, admittedly, not at the end. It is quite common now to see a room with a multiword name and the two words seperated by a fullstop instead of a dash.

Why someone would flood a channel because it has fullstops in the name is beyond me though.

Link Copied to Clipboard