mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#18910 12/04/03 04:42 AM
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
If this idea is in the making, then ignore it.

Personally, I am frustrated that there are no actual mIRC methods to create "switchbars" or dockable "trays" within the mIRC program.

I would very much like to see the ability to create a dockable bar system for mIRC that allows us to put any dialog item etc, into a dockable bar.

Ie, a topicbar, so we can edit/change/set topics (if op) from one bar, channel mode menus from one bar, etc.

I am aware that these things can/could/have been done with dll's, but I would very much like to see an official mIRC script method for this.

If anyone doesn't understand what I mean, one only needs to look at some of the dialogs made with mdx.dll and so forth, to see what I mean.

Cheers.

--------
mIRC - fun for all the family (except grandma and grandpa)
#18911 15/04/03 10:32 AM
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
Ok, I would have edited this, but I want to bump it with an image I spent half an hour on creating to make it look good.

But this is what I would like to see in the next version of mIRC, or in a future release at the very least.

mircbar image

This is a 1600x1200 screenshot, and is approx 340kb to download.

Thanks.

--------
#18912 15/04/03 10:33 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Bumping doesn't work here...nice picture though.

#18913 15/04/03 11:23 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Personally I like it and would use it. Has a nice even flow to it and everything seems to have enough room to operate. One downside COULD be for people on older/smaller monitors; they wont have the room to display it, but I personally dont know how everything works so hey, it might not even be an issue

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#18914 15/04/03 11:43 AM
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
Yes, it would be rather difficult for users with lower resolutions to use.

However, I'm quite sure that it could be set up as an option within mIRC's configurations someplace.

The only reason I would like to see it, is that I am not really fond (no offence to the people that made the dll's) of using dll's such as mdx.dll etc, to do something, which IMHO, be able to be done in mIRC natively.

Yes, I am aware that Khaled does this in his own spare time, and for his enjoyment, but I'm quite sure that he would have thought of making something like this.

Anywhoo.

--------
#18915 15/04/03 11:52 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Something else that would happen as a side effect is that the channel central box would only list invites/bans/exceptions UNLESS the toolbar and channel central could be totally separate features meaning that just because you used the toolbar didnt mean you'd remove all those options from the channel central. However, it COULD be done that if you use the most common modes up top (picture shows you using: Topic history, Ops Set Topic, Extenral Msgs, Private, Invite, Moderated, Limit, Key, and secret which are pretty much the global ones) you could then use the channel central for the rest. Just some thoughts is all, but I LIKE the toolbar idea a lot (as it stands on the picture).

To go one step further, if we could configure (like Internet Explorer for example) the mirc default toolbar to add/remove icons from there AND make the "channelbar" dockable with the mirc default toolbar, that'd be even better especially if we could configure how each of the "channel bar" options were - aka which options to put to the left and right etc

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#18916 16/04/03 04:29 AM
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
I concur.

I should state that the dockable channel bar as shown in that image, should still not take away from the channel info dialog.

That is still an important function of mIRC.

As you suggested, it would be best if the dockable info bar was perhaps an additional method of quickly changing topics/modes for that particular channel.

I very much agree with your suggestions. smile

Perhaps even going further to make each channel bar so that you can put your most used items for a particular channel in that bar. And as you switch windows, it would then update the bar with the relevant information.

Thanks for your input smile

--------

Link Copied to Clipboard