mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
S
Ok,

I install mIRC I set everything up fine it's running.
I start to download something. Then my computer will lag very badly it will hangup for about 1 minute. It will then stop lagging ( Not responding) for about a minute then lag again.

Even after I shut IRC down it does this. I have to completely restart my computer to get this to stop.

my setup is.

Win Xp Pro (all patches and such)
FIC AN11 Mobo
Athlon Xp1200+ CPU
40 Gig HDD
768 Megs PC2100 DDR ram
G3Ti 200 video
Cable Internet connection
D-link router

I never had this problem before. This is the first time I've had this problem. I have tried reinstalling everything. I even formatted a few times and after installing my normal drivers and updating windows I install IRC next and still same thing.

Any ideas or help would be great and thanks ahead of time.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You mention mirc, so I assume DCC.. Does your download begin at all? Does it get by the 3-way handshake (just basically the "begin download" message from the other client)? Also you mention a router.. Perhaps you haven't allowed the DCC port on the router, and the router is blocking the port. This could prevent you from downloaidng, or connecting to other clients..

just a thought..If its worked before (with the router you have) then you can exclude this as a problem.

-KingTomato
S
OP Offline
S
The downloads start. Alot of times I get a very nice speed. I can sometimes get up to and above 250kbs on a download.

But yes the downloads start and will run for awhile then my computer will start to hang.

I've tried different versions of IRC and even tried a program called Bottler. All do the same thing. I can download using any other type of program as long as it's not IRC based.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
-downloaded any speed patches or scripts that supposedly boost downloading speed? they've caused probs like what you described

-any difference in the server port you connected with between the d/ls that go fine and those that dont?

-have you tried without any scripts?

-doing a lot of other things at the same time?

-disable firewall (if youre running a virus scanner, which one?)

there have been a lot of posts on same prob (oddly enuf, most from xp users as i recall), try the search feature, all forums, all dates, using search words like freeze or dcc

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
S
OP Offline
S
No virus scanner atm.

Not sure on the ports I've never checked any of that.

It's not a software firewall it's with the router.

I'm getting ready to install Windows 98 Se again see if it still does it with that. If not I will know that it was Xp if it does then it's something else heh.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
You're downloading stuff without a virus scanner? crazy

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
No Anti-Virus!? First of all that is a major NO-NO... especially if you are downloading...Second of all if you want a descent virus scanner check out this website Its Called the AGV Anti-virus 6.0 (yes you will have to hunt it down, I'm just pointing you to the site...) if i remember correctly...I have had no problems with this particular scanner. I use it ritually. Thirdly, after downloading it run it! And last but not least:

<insert lecture on downloading here... >

Have a nice day! grin

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Or if you wanna save time just go straight to the AVG website.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
That is so true LOL thanks for pointing that out...I guess alcohol really does affect the brain LOL...and to think theres only 15 left out of 20 LOL. Being that this is funny and all where would I be with out ya to point out the obvious smile

S
OP Offline
S
I ment I wasn't running a scanner while I downloaded. I do have one installed I just run it when I start/restart my computer.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
You may also want to take into consideration to contact the technical support at the proper website for that particular brand router...also dont be givin us the scare that ya don't have a virus scanner....LOL.

S
OP Offline
S
Ok, I got it all fixed.

It was Windows Xp. I formatted/installed Win2k and I've had mIRC running all night and downloading multiple things at a time.

Wonder why it does this to me while running WinXp but now 2k. When other's can run WinXp and not have a problem.....

Thanks for all the help though it's working smile

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Glad ya solved your problem. Hope everything runs smoothly for ya in the future.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
/me echoes what TheGame said smile

as for why, thats a good question..except i dunno anyone who has found a good answer. seems like xp causes an assortment of probs for some ppl but not for others, especially with regard to downloading. solutions that work for some, dont for others...from using a diff port to the nic card being used and about everything in between.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard