mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
E
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
E
Ok I have mirc setup now, and running fine, no registry stuff at all.
What I wanna do now is have a variable in my shortcut.

To use mirc portable you need a -portable in the path (mirc.exe -portable).....well you can't put that in the main .exe file, you have to make a shortcut and then put the path and switch in. (mirc.exe -portable)

The path is now H:\ drive. When I go to another machine, the flash drive will then be seen as say Q:\ drive. Now since the sortcut I made earlier pertains to H:\ (H:\mirc\mirc.exe -portable)in order to get that shortcut I created earlier to work I would have to change the H:\ to Q:\ manually.

Is there a possible way to make a shortcut like universal, with say a variable. I tried %drive%\mirc\mirc.exe -portable, but it just tells me the path is incorrect.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
%apppath%?

What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?
E
OP Offline
E
nope, didn't work either.
I think you can't do it via a shortcut, IF this IS the case, then mirc still isn't truely portable, because I will have to change manually the path to that drive for each machine if the drive letter changes, unless anyone has a solution this really isn't much difference than the normal mirc's, other than the registry stuff is now put in the ini file, and not the reg.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Well it's not really mIRC's fault that Windows shortcuts suck and don't support relative paths. In any case, you can create a one-line batch file to run mIRC appropriately:

• Create a new file called mirc.bat.
  • Open the file in a text editor and input the following line:
    Quote:
    start /D"[color:red]blah\moo\mircpath" mirc.exe -portable[/color]
  • Obviously blah\moo\mircpath should be a relative path between the location of the batch file you're creating and the directory containing mIRC.exe
  • Save the file and you're done.

You can now run the batch file instead of a shortcut and it'll work regardless of drive letter.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted By: starbucks_mafia
Well it's not really mIRC's fault that Windows shortcuts suck and don't support relative paths. In any case, you can create a one-line batch file to run mIRC appropriately:

• Create a new file called mirc.bat.
  • Open the file in a text editor and input the following line:
    Quote:
    start /D"[color:red]blah\moo\mircpath" mirc.exe -portable[/color]
  • Obviously blah\moo\mircpath should be a relative path between the location of the batch file you're creating and the directory containing mIRC.exe
  • Save the file and you're done.

You can now run the batch file instead of a shortcut and it'll work regardless of drive letter.

If I am understnding this correctly if my exe is in program files\mirc\mirc.exe I would put as follows:
start /D"program files\mirc" mirc.exe -portable

That look right? sorry not to good with batch files or html or mirc scripting or anything pertained to a type of codeing, so sorry if I sound ignorant to it smile.

I tried start /D"program files\mirc" mirc.exe -portable and ran it but nothing happend

Last edited by easyrider2k; 22/08/07 09:41 PM.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Well it's relative to the location of the batch file so...

If:
mirc.exe was on <USBDrive>:\Program Files\mirc\mirc.exe
and:
mirc.bat was on <USBDrive>:\somewhere\moo\mirc.bat

then you would have to use:
start /D"..\..\Program Files\mirc" mirc.exe -portable

The two sets of .. at the start are to go "up" two levels from <USBDrive>:\somewhere\moo\ to <USBDrive>:\, then from there you can go "down" into Program Files etc.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
E
OP Offline
E
Thankyou so VERY VERY much, that worked nicely.

Tested it at school, at school my flash is G: the shortcut is H: I just ran the bat file and vwala it runs.

Link Copied to Clipboard