Print Thread
#179716 27/06/07 07:22 AM
S
spyguy Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
S
When I attempt to launch the application, I receive an error message that reads "Windows can not access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". I have been running mIRC for a while now, without incident. As far as I am aware, there have been no changes to my PC since I last ran the software successfully.

After this first occurred, I checked my anti-virus/firewall/internet security to make sure that the software had not been blocked, and it was listed as "allowed", so I don't suspect that to be the issue. I do recall that my room mate quarantined an mIRC file, not knowing what it was, but I removed it from quarantine, and assumed it would be fine. This is approximately when my complications began. I have since un-installed, then re-installed the program, but to no avail.

I am using version 6.21, which I believe is the most current version. I am on Windows XP, as well. As I am sure it has occurred to most who have read this, yes, I installed the account with administrative privileges, and have continued to run it on the same account since. If you require any more information, please let me know, and I will be happy to oblige as best I can.

I am not in any particular hurry, though I would like to sort this out before my registration with nickserv is no longer valid. Thank you for your time, and any assistance you can offer.

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Double check the paths in the short cut (the icon you're clicking on, right click / properties), then using explorer, verify the files are there.

Try launching directly from Explorer, see if that works. It should at least give you a better error.

S
spyguy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Bekar, thank you for the reply. I would just like to clarify what it is exactly you are asking me to attempt, as I don't believe I fully understand. Firstly, I should let you know that I am not opening the program using a shortcut, but rather, opening it from the folder itself.

By verifying that the files are there, do you mean to check that the path (location) of the program and all of its corresponding files have been installed in the correct directory? Or do you mean to check that the short cut is properly "linked" to the program, so to speak.

In any case, I am not using a shortcut, as I said, and it appears that the application folder is completely intact, though I recall it previously containing more files than it currently does. Could you perhaps tell me which files should be in the application folder, so that I can verify that everything has indeed installed correctly?

I am also unsure of what you mean by launching it directly from Explorer. Does this mean to launch it from the application folder, using the main executable? I'm sorry to respond to you in the form of questions, but your efforts to help are much appreciated.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yes, you understood him correctly when you thought he was talking about a shortcut. It's strange you are getting this error...

Since mIRC is a standalone application (it is not dependent on all kinds of registry settings and runs with only the files in the "installation" folder), try to install a new copy of mIRC to a different location and see if you can run it from there. If that works, see what happens when you replace your old mIRC.exe with the new one.

S
spyguy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you for the suggestion 5618, but unfortunately that did not resolve the issue. The same problem occurred, even though I installed the program in a different location.

I tried to delete the executable from the application folder, and replace it with the new one, but it would not delete. It seems that access is denied, even though the file is not write protected, or in use, as far as I know. As I try to delete the executable, or run the executable, my virus protection alerts me to a file named "Client-IRC.Win32.mIRC", saying that the file is potential riskware/malware.

I am beginning to suspect that my problem is linked to my virus protection, as I receive that message on a regular basis, every time I try to run mIRC, even though I tell the program to take no action. Perhaps my virus protection is impeding the installation in some way. Would mIRC be capable of running if I delete the above file? Also, would you happen to know exactly what it is that this file does that would make it be detected as a risk?

EDIT: I should mention, incase it is of any significance, that the mIRC executable does not resemble the usual mIRC insignia. I don't know the suitable name for this type of icon, but I assume it is Windows default exe. icon when it is unaware of what program it is.

Thank you again for your helps guys.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Most antivirus programs are overly aggressive and just plain stupid.
mIRC is NOT a risk. Well, not more of a risk than any other program. And yes, your AV is probably the problem here then. Try setting up proper exception rules for mIRC or get a better AV. ;P

Maybe try disabling your AV and see if you can run it then. Some AVs are so aggressive even this won't help though.

S
spyguy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that mIRC is a risk, but that this one file in particular is of enough risk for my anti-virus program to cause complications. I don't suppose you would know the function of the file I mentioned, would you? Is it necessary for the program to run?

EDIT: I hadn't realized that the file I mentioned was actually the executable itself; just a case of my mind not fully being there at the moment, sorry about that. So I suppose simply deleting the file would not be an option for me. It is very strange that this would suddenly be an issue, when I have been running mIRC without any conflicts between it and my anti-virus program for some time now.

I fear that if the virus protection is the source of my complications, then disabling it will not be sufficient, as the problem most likely occurs during installation. Other than the settings I currently have in place, I don't believe I can make mIRC any more accepted.

The program is customizable, but only to an extent, and I would prefer not to disable it altogether. I thank you for the time you have put towards helping me, 5618, and Bekar. If the two of you, or anyone else, would care to offer any more suggestions, I will certainly consider more possibilities.

Thanks again.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What Operating System are you running? If it's Vista, that could be part of the issue.

Are you logged into user account with administrator priveledges? If not, that could be the problem. Even if you think you are, you should double check. Your roommate may have changed that while quarantining files on you.

As mentioned, install to another location, such as a mIRC folder on the desktop and see if that helps. Maybe also try temporarily disabling any antivirus and anti-spyware software to see if that helps.

Beyond trying to get mIRC running again, I'd recommend telling your roommate not to change anything on your computer for any reason. It's never a good idea to let others change things. Letting them use your computer is one thing, but it's still your computer and a roommate should never be changing things on you.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
spyguy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: "Riamus2"
What Operating System are you running?...As mentioned, install to another location, such as a mIRC folder on the desktop and see if that helps.

I am running Windows XP. The desktop is actually the location I chose when attempting this suggestion. Unfortunately, the result was the same. I double checked whether or not my administrator privileges were changed the moment I received the message about not having the appropriate rights to access the file, and again when re-installing today.

Originally Posted By: "Riamus2"
Beyond trying to get mIRC running again, I'd recommend telling your roommate not to change anything on your computer for any reason.

Heh, thank you for the suggestion. We have actually had that discussion many times, and generally he is pretty good about it. Being that he received a message from the 'security program', he did not consider that making the decision would affect anything, since from his perspective it only appeared to be malware.

I am still uncertain if this is the cause, but this was the time frame where I began having these difficulties. I still recall the mIRC application folder containing more files/folders prior to the re-installation. Could some one perhaps list the files that this folder would usually contain, so that I can be certain that the installation was completed in its entirety?

I realize this is may be a hassle, and ultimately have no purpose, in which case, I don't want to frustrate anyone with my problem. You have all been great thus far, and as I have said, I appreciate it.

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
What's the antivirus package you are using?

It sounds like it's what is blocking access to executing mIRC, by way if it's malware/pup protection.

Try disabling your antivirus entirely, and running mIRC again.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: spyguy
I double checked whether or not my administrator privileges were changed the moment I received the message about not having the appropriate rights to access the file, and again when re-installing today.

Try right clicking on it and choose Run As. Select an user with admin priveledges and try it that way even if you are admin. You may also try right clicking on the EXE and choosing properties. I know CHM files can sometimes be Blocked and you have to click Unblock from the properties page (the unblock button only shows if it's blocked), and perhaps it's possible that EXEs can also be blocked the same way.

Originally Posted By: spyguy
Could some one perhaps list the files that this folder would usually contain, so that I can be certain that the installation was completed in its entirety?

I realize this is may be a hassle, and ultimately have no purpose, in which case, I don't want to frustrate anyone with my problem. You have all been great thus far, and as I have said, I appreciate it.

You could try just a clean install of mIRC and test that. Beyond just testing it, you can see what files are there. Really, you can get by with only the mIRC.exe file. It will create the mIRC.ini file when you run it. Of course, if you want to have the list of servers, you'll also want the servers.ini file. It isn't needed to run or connect to networks, but if you don't connect using /server, you'll want to have it. Other than that, anything else is just extra (such as the help file (mIRC.CHM or mIRC.HLP).

Invision Support
S
spyguy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you very much for the help everyone; the time you have all put towards helping me is very much appreciated. It seems, for the moment, that everything is functioning correctly. I thought I had done a clean re-install already, but I suppose I may have forgotten to delete something before installing.

I can't say for certain that it was the clean re-install that did the trick, or if it in fact was my anti-virus program causing complications when installing. Perhaps I should have done a process of elimination, in retrospect. In any event, it is now working, for the meantime. Again, thank you for your assistance.

S
spyguy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Well, since my prior complications, I have run mIRC a small handful of times, and I now seem to be having issues that I was not experiencing before I re-installed the program. For the most part, I have been able to set up the mIRC client to its previous state, but I have been having problems remaining connected.

I am posting my current troubles in this topic because there is a chance that this is being caused by my anti-virus protection, just as before; though I am hoping to find a resolution not related to my anti-virus protection, such as a setting within mIRC. After connecting, and successfully chatting, I find that I am being disconnected for no apparent reason.

It does seem to occur after a slightly pro-longed period of inactivity, but I don't imagine that mIRC would have any sort of "automatic time-out" feature. The only thing indicated by my status window is the message "Disconnected by Host". I assume this implies that the disconnection is due to my internet connection, and not the fault of the server, correct? Other than that, I don't believe I have any more pertinent information to supply, though if you would like any other details, I will try my best to provide them.

Thanks again.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Some networks will disconnect you for being idle too long, or for not responding to the PING PONG request.

Invision Support
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but ensure that 'Check for timed out connection' is checked in ALT+O > Connect > Options.

I would have thought this sounds more like a 'Software caused connection abort' situation, in which case an anti-virus could be one of many many causes. Unlikely though if this is a recent development. Perhaps you'd like to check out the suggestions in the sticky thread anyway?
Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
spyguy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. I will certainly take a look at the FAQ, Mentality, and thank you for posting that.

Quick question, Riamus, do I have to reply to these ping pong requests manually, or does mIRC reply to these automatically? At the most, I would expect that there is simply an option I have to configure in order to reply to ping pong requests automatically, but there doesn't appear to be anything of the sort.

If, in the end, I am unable to resolve this particular issue, it is not of paramount significance, as I find that I chat less frequently these days as it is, but I hope I can resolve the issue, and I am thankful for your help in doing so.

I feel the need to apologize for the simplistic nature of my inquiries, as I am leaving it up to the members of this forum board to answer questions that are likely easy to locate on my own. After working in technical support all day, I appreciate what it is like to answer such questions, but in the same vein, at the end of the day I would prefer to solve these issues with as little hassle as possible. The inexperienced nature of my posts is not lost on me, and I thank you all for being patient with me thus far.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
mIRC replies to ping requests automatically. By default these messages are hidden, if you wish to see them though go to ALT+O > IRC > Options and uncheck the box saying 'Hide ping! pong? event'.

You're most welcome btw.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
W
W
i have the same problem but im running windows vista ultimate and its not a problem with any firewall but i am an administrator..idk wat to do though
heres a screenie for you guys that might help some: http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nopermissionea1.jpg

any help greatly appreciated ty.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
The lack of permissions in regards to Vista has been mentioned before. Search the Bug Reports section for the term Vista.

It appears that Khaled is trying to get all of the Vista issues located and handled before the next version, as there hasn't been a version since before Vista was publicly released.

Link Copied to Clipboard