P
Paros Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
P
Hello,

Thanks for the FAQ on hiding IPs.

I now know that I have to get a shell account somewhere, which will probably be a Unix server, in order to get to IRC through the shell account, instead of me connecting directly with my PC to an IRC network.

In addition to having a problem choosing among dozens upon dozens of ads for shell accounts, and most sites explaining things for themselves or people who already know what to do and how to do it, would it be possible for me to keep on using mIRC in combination with a shell account to get to an IRC network?

Or would I have to telnet to the Unix server, log in to the shell account and use a Unix program installed on the server to get to IRC, losing in that way all functionality of mIRC?

My goal here is to be able to connect to a network that doesn't provide a +x mode or any other way of hiding a user's IP but if possible to do it using mIRC on my PC and not having to use any other programs.

Something equivalent to just setting a proxy in mIRC and keep on using it. Could something like this work with shell accounts?

My reasons are identity protection. A permanent 24/7 visitor of a specific channel in a specific IRC network that I visit owns a website that I also surf to and he can easily cross reference IPs of the IRC channel visitors and his website visitors, which I would like to avoid to do this for my visits if at all possible.

If this is possible and I can still use mIRC then I'd appreciate if anyone can tell me so. If you also know of any reputable sites with dependable shell accounts service I hope you can recommend them here and it's not against any rules, or PM them to me if you'd like.

Thank you very much for your help.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Generally people use bouncers (BNCs) for this purpose. You can run your own or pay for one on a stable (dedicated) server. PsyBNC is rather popular. If you use one of them, they act as a kind of IRC server themselves which you connect to using your mIRC. The bouncer will always stay connected to the IRC network you tell it to connect to (unless you tell it to disconnect of course), so when you connect to your BNC you'll instantly reconnect to that network. Kind of like turning on your computer screen when the computer is already running. :P

P
Paros Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
P
Thanks for the info.

So I'd need a shell account and then run PsyBNC on it so I can connect to it with mIRC from my PC. Great.

I'm on the PsyBNC site now going through the documentation.

If anyone knows any site that does all the necessary setup for dummies so a user has a minimum of involvement and doesn't have to install, compile, run editors and change too many settings, etc, please let us know.

Thanks!

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
You might also consider checking if the network offers/supports vhost addresses. If they do and you get one configured, either by an IRCop or by yourself (if permitted), then the only people that will be able to see your real IP are the IRCops.

Check with your networks help channel for details regarding this option.

P
Paros Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
P
I don't think they do, it's efnet.

I looked through its site for any more info on this but I don't think there are any ways to hide a user's IP with the services they provide - unless I missed something obvious.

Thanks for the suggestion.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
No, EfNet is one network that doesn't offer many (and for quite a while no) services, like chanserc, nickserv, etc.

T
Babel fish
Babel fish
T
For more information on BNC's - Some people offer PsuBNC Shell accounts for people that want to use them.

Start by googling "psyBNC IRC Shell Hosts" and check out the prices, some of them offer some great services for a small fee.

Hope that was helpful

GigIRC Network Admin
irc.gigirc.com
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
http://kirenet.com has a pretty good deal, and they're a reputable provider. Basic shell account for $6.99 monthly, but with a coupon code "DEALIN2007" (new customers only) you get a lifetime $4 monthly discount making it $2.99 a month. Setup is a breeze, if you're not familiar with the process they do have a knowledge base that explains it step by step.

Link Copied to Clipboard