mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
F
I don't use chat rooms. This is the first time I have been on one. The reason is that my PC seems to have spontaneously decided it wants to set up mIRC options, and a window keeps popping up. I can't get rid of it. It dings every 5 minutes or so, and it's driving me nuts. I had been getting pop up window ads that seem to come from nowhere. I wonder if these two problems are related. I am not too knowledgable about computers, rather I have to use them for work.
Does anyone have any insight into what could be happening and how to stop it? thanks

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
mIRC doesnt act that way, sounds like you got one of the many trojans that drop an older version of mIRC as part of their payload. Run a good virus scan, and try this online one as it tends to catch more IRC type things than some others do, at this web page Make a note of what it finds, and look into it since some will require a bit of registry editing they are unable to do for you. Use the search feature here, all forums, all posts with trojan as the subject and you will see a lot of info.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
V
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
V
I agree, Mirc does not act that way.

I would uninstall that program you have.

Run an antivirus scan to make sure your system is clean

Then go to www.mirc.com and download mirc over again and install it.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
The original poster gave me the impression they hadnt purposely downloaded mIRC, which means something was prolly dropped as part of a trojan payload. If that is the case, they wont be able to just uninstall it, but will need to deal with the trojan that put it there.

its possible i misunderstood frustrated, and they did intentionally d/l mIRC, in which case your reply is the way to go

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard