mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Originally Posted By: genius_at_work
The point is that if you are in a very active channel with an on TEXT script with an infinite loop in it, you may never get the chance to disconnect or do anything else because the script would constantly go into the infinite loop everytime someone spoke in the channel.

Obviously, the "disable remotes" option would be part of the alternate key-combo that was discussed above, rather than the current ctrl+break.

-genius_at_work

and you dont think you flood out ? smile thats what happens to me, atlest if it's a on text thingie that cosing a problem. and then CTRL break make the problem stop and i can solve it befor i reconnect again, that way all my timers and other things still runing smile

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Code:

on *:TEXT:*:*: while (1) { echo -a Endless Loop }

That code won't flood you off the server.

Besides, relying on the server to disconnect you in the case of a runaway script is not a good plan. If I saw you repeatedly flooding off a network where I'm an oper, I'd likely ban you for suspicious behaviour.

-genius_at_work

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Often if i get a loop that wont stop i flood out, if i dont, then i just can rewrite the code and go on with my life? it's not so nice to restart mirc after you enabled remote cos you want all your timers to start.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Originally Posted By: genius_at_work
The point is that if you are in a very active channel with an on TEXT script with an infinite loop in it, you may never get the chance to disconnect or do anything else because the script would constantly go into the infinite loop everytime someone spoke in the channel.

Obviously, the "disable remotes" option would be part of the alternate key-combo that was discussed above, rather than the current ctrl+break.

-genius_at_work

It could just simply unload the script that triggered it as suppose to /remote off. As long as mIRC outputs something like / * C:\myscript.mrc unloaded due to breakage.

$maybe
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Then write better scripts. If you have to restart mIRC each time then it is poorly written. What you should do is something like this:

Code:
alias inittimers {
  ; Initialise timers here.
}
on *:start:{ inittimers }

Now when you want to start the timers, you can just type /inittimers without restarting mIRC.

My suggestion was that there should be an option to turn remote off when Ctrl+Break was hit, and genius_at_work gave one good reason why you might want to disable remotes (events being triggered with buggy scripts in them), so it can't possibly be a bad idea. If you don't want remotes disabled, then simply don't turn on the option.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard