Print Thread
#174493 08/04/07 06:49 PM
G
grimman Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
G
It occured to me that, in some setups, using the treeview as the switchbar AND userlist might be both possible and look better+save space.

The necessary GUI behavior changes would be pretty simple. First of all, the most logical option, the ability to toggle the userlist off.
When that happens, obviously you still want to be able to view the list. For the most part, having the list visible will not be a critical to the user, so right now (in theory) it's doing pretty much what a normal user might want. But being able to view the users in the currently active channel will be necessary in some cases. And here is where the real changes I propose come in:
Treating the channels like folders with the userlist displayed on a sublevel below it.

[] 1. Always expanded user list. For users with relatively few channels open.
[] 2. Expanded on currently selected. Pretty much normal behavior.
[] 3. Collapsed by default. User has to expand the user list on this one manually.

Illustrations:
-- 1 --
Code:
[s] irc.server.com
  -[#]#channel
    [@]operator
    [ ]user
    [ ]user2
  -[#]#channel2
    [@operator
    [ ]user
[s] irc.server2.com
  -[#]#channel
    [@]op
    [ ]usertastic

-- and so forth --

-- 2 --
Code:
[s] irc.server.com
  +[#]#channel
  -[#]#channel2
    [@operator
    [ ]user
[s] irc.server2.com
  +[#]#channel

-- 3 --
Code:
[s] irc.server.com
  +[#]#channel
  +[#]#channel2
[s] irc.server2.com
  +[#]#channel

S
Babel fish
Babel fish
S
This isnt a very good idea because all you need to do is look on your nicklist and you can get the same effect as this. Adding this to the treebar will also create uncecsesary space to be taken up. If your on a channel with 500 users and others with 300 users you don't want to open up the @ for all the channels and have the scroll bar be invisible.

It just seems a bit uncessesary overall.

As always, it's just my opinion.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure."
G
grimman Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
G
Oh yeah, another thing I had in mind was a filter of sorts at the bottom of the treeview area, much like the text input in the regular chat area.
This filter box would work much like the one in the DC++ clients, if you type something in the box, the userlist will only display the items containing that string, making it ALOT easier to locate particular users.

@Spitfire:
Don't be so negative. This suggestion will potentially remove the need for the user list all together. And if you don't want to use it like that... just don't. :P
It won't create any 'unnecessary space', it will just relocate the user list from one place to another, freeing space rather than taking it up.
As it is now I rarely use the userlist, and having it collapsed, yet easy to access, would be a great improvement for me.
And should I want it to show only operators... well, just enter @ into the filter box. Voila. smile

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
I propose a slight tweak to this. Instead of putting this on the treeview, perhaps make it part of the nicklist as an option instead where it sorts it by status and then we'd have the option to "group nicknames as treeview". Just a thought

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it

Link Copied to Clipboard