Print Thread
#168778 14/01/07 10:26 AM
C
Cloned1 Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
C
Ok i upgraded to windows vista today, got irc back on my computer and had to get image files back on my computer of my trip to Italy which were on my friends computer. I unblocked irc in the windows firewall, and continued to receive my files, which got to 100% easily. I went to look for the files with none to be found anywhere on my computer, so i momentarily disable my firewall to see if that helps..same problem. I got them off Aim so i got my files, its just that i'm so used to getting them off of irc when i had xp that this just seems like a big headache. Anyone else have this problem? if so is there a fix besides going back to xp? Thanks for your help in advance.

Cloned1 #168910 16/01/07 06:50 PM
A
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
A
I got exacly the same problem. When ppl send me a file, they used to go to the default download folder. But now, since i installed Vista, the file seem to be received, but i cant find it anywhere... Anybody got an idea where this file used to go with the new vista version?

Cloned1 #168926 16/01/07 10:22 PM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
To reply to nobody in particualar

I know that microsoft implemented something into Service Pack 2
in regard to downloading certain filetypes, mainly *.exe
i use MSN live to chat to a few of my friends who dont use mIRC
and i was losing files left, right n center, i finaly tracked
down that when i was recieving an mp3, msn would pull up a
security warning saying that the file in question was
dangerouse to my system, and promptly deleted the file from
my pc without my intervention.

Im just curious, n wonder if they (microsoft) havent
included the same code into Vista that quietly removes
anything it considers dangerous, if thats teh case, i
think ill leave Vista alone n stick with my XP Pro SP2.

ShadowDemon

Never argue with an idiot...they'll drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'd stay away from it anyway. smile

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #168992 17/01/07 10:59 PM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
lol, yeah having just recently purchased XP Pro, and upgraded my
system to Vista's Minimimum specs, (n mines a pretty powerful beasty now),
i think ill still leave Vista alone, atleast for the next couple of years.

ShadowDemon

Never argue with an idiot...they'll drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I know that every game and every hardware component I have works fine in XP. I know that XP is very stable (I have left the computer running non-stop without a reboot for almost 2 months straight and only rebooted then because I wanted to updated DirectX). With Vista, it's a different ballgame. I know that it will be less compatible with older games/apps than XP is (and XP isn't the most compatible OS for older software), so I may lose the ability to play some games that I can play on XP without problems. I also have an old TV Tuner card that works great, but I'm already using old (2000/NT) drivers to make it work in XP. They aren't going to make new drivers for Vista if they didn't for XP and I don't see any reason to buy a new one when this one works perfectly. So those are just 2 reasons I have for not going to Vista.

Others include the expected bugs and other problems that I don't want to subject my important files to. I did go to XP immediately upon release, but that's because I had ME at the time and that was so bad that XP couldn't be much worse regardless how many bugs it might have on release. Normally, though, I prefer to wait until it's been out for awhile (and preferably has had at least 1 service pack to fix the bugs).

Invision Support
Cloned1 #170392 08/02/07 11:02 AM
A
AMG Offline
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
A
Windows Vista is a complicated peice of Sh**. Issues that I have found with MIRC is that it moves the download draw to somewhere it shouldnt. It normally resides in c:/program files/mirc/download depending on the installation draw but with Microsoft creating many incompatibilities i will try to explain.
The reason you cannot see recieved files is that it is not there . YOu can get to your recieved files by going to c:\Users\'your user account'\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\mIRC\download
Before doing this though you have to go to folder options and tell the computer to show hidden files and folders in the view options. Searching for the files will not help as they will not be displayed. This issues with MIRC reveals that alot of software will have certain issues with this new operating system. I hope this helps

AMG #170406 08/02/07 02:32 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
That fits with the fact that Vista won't let mIRC write to its own folder (settings also won't be saved in its own folder). I'm wondering how script settings being written to the mIRC folder will work as well. It could end up being a complete mess. Better to listen to all of the people complaining about Vista and just stick to XP and force M$ to re-evaluate if Vista was a smart move or not.

Invision Support
Cloned1 #170700 12/02/07 11:38 PM
V
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
V
Same problem here, files download beautifully but vanish. When you goto open file from the DCC it takes you to your personal Folder (Documents)

I downloaded mp4 files. some half finished. I resumed and they finished. They played. so they are not deleted. I jsut cant find them. If anyone knows thisa would be good.

I believe the initial question was where are they, not an invitation for a slur on vista.

Genuiine help would be greatly appresicated.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
And quoting AMG:

Originally Posted By: AMG
YOu can get to your recieved files by going to c:\Users\'your user account'\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\mIRC\download
Before doing this though you have to go to folder options and tell the computer to show hidden files and folders in the view options.

Invision Support
Riamus2 #170708 13/02/07 02:30 AM
V
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
V
There you go, Excellent thanks. grin

Cloned1 #170719 13/02/07 06:28 AM
P
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
P
I have no problem with my files disapearing however, i do have trouble with the speed at which i recieve my files. Lets say i was downloading files at 100kb/s in xp pro.. well now i am downloading that same file at around 60kb/s in vista I am looking for any tweaks you might know of.

pdiddy #170726 13/02/07 01:25 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Hijack #2 .. why don't you start your
own thread and stop hijacking others?

Link Copied to Clipboard