Print Thread
#168532 09/01/07 10:36 PM
O
OpTi Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
O
When I try to take nickname піўпіў ( ) in nicklist I see instead of the nickname two squares. When I talk in the channel, nickname is displayed correctly only in that case, when I don't write a words in English. When I write in English, nickname is displayed incorrectly as well as in nicklist.
For example look at the images:
1. Channel

2. Nicklist

Thanks for you answers.

wbr, opti
#help@irc.bynets.org
OpTi #168533 09/01/07 10:50 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Not sure about the nick in the channel being wrong when you typed "qwerty," but I have heard that the nicklist does not have UTF at this time. On most networks, this doesn't matter because you aren't allowed those characters for your nick. However, it seems that some do allow it, so this would be a good feature suggestion if it isn't already suggested.

Now, I notice that some nicks have those types of characters, but I'm wondering if those are UTF (like yours may be set to), or if they are entered with ASCII codes instead.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
O
OpTi Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Okie. On my network UTF is allowed. When I set
Code:
/codepage UTF-8
and choose View -> Font -> UTF-8 -> "display and encode", nickname look like correctly, all text on channel too. But the text is displayed incorrectly:
  • in a editbox, when I try to add nickname from nicklist to the editbox (mouse double-click alias uses 'editbox -afp $$1');
  • in a mirc titlebar;

But the problem was not in it. Why at identical settings nickname is displayed correctly when I write not in English (in Russian for example), and it is incorrect, when I write in English?

wbr, opti
#help@irc.bynets.org
OpTi #168539 09/01/07 11:50 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Well, I explained the probable cause of the nicklist issue. As for the two ways of displaying in the channel, I have a feeling that the nick being displayed is treated as an item such as a variable, so mIRC doesn't realize that it should be UTF. When you type in Russian, mIRC knows to use UTF, so it converts the entire line.

These would definitely be 2 features that need worked on for UTF in the next version. I think that, perhaps, Khaled didn't know about networks that support nicks that use these characters, so he didn't make the nicklist UTF or make it so that it converted the lines if the nick is UTF and the line isn't.

Invision Support
Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
UTF-8 works fine in my nicklist, but YMMV..

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
Sat #168542 10/01/07 12:10 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Ok, so I may be wrong, then. I don't use it. As I mentioned, I was stating what I had heard mentioned.

Invision Support
OpTi #168562 10/01/07 02:06 PM
N
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
N
If you want your nick to be displayed as desired, switch View-Font-UTF-8 to "Default" and turn UTF-8 display in the settings. mIRC does interpret every line of text as a whole, so you can not have two different encodings in that line. Algorithm: prepare the line (concat time, nick, message), check if it is utf-8 and display it in unicode if true and in default channel encoding if false.

Mind that "піў" is windows-1251 for that unicode square. So "піўпіў" () is the same as these two squares in unicode; and the codes of other symbols (numbers, []'s, :'s, etc) are the same for unicode and windows-1251. Hence:

1) if you write in English (or Unicode), the whole line can be interpreted as Unicode and you get 2 squares.

2) if you write in Russian, the Unicode sequence breaks and the line of text is being shown correctly.

3) if you have your nick in, like, Russian, and the symbol combination can not be found in Unicode, and you write in English or Russian in windows-1251, then you get normal text.

4) if you have your nick like that of the nr. 3, and you type in Unicode, your nickname will break unicode sequence and you'll get a lot of garbled symbols.

I hope I made myself clear.

Link Copied to Clipboard