mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
W
WRFan Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
W
I wonder why nobody uses the md5 hash function when spreading files over IRC. Sometimes people share files with the same name, but different hashes and if an uploader disappears, one resumes the download from a different xdcc server, and in the end the file is broken! I've already lost at least 100GB of data due to this negligence! Most people use IROffer for uploads, which doesn't seem to even support md5, or may be it does, but the xdcc server ads don't display it and thus, you never know whether you are resuming the same file as before. Same is true for xdcc scripts written for various Mirc versions, nobody adds CRC/MD5 functions!

Recently I re-wrote an xdcc script for mirc, adding md5, which is calculated, when a pack is added to the server, the calculated hash then written to an ini file and displayed every time the xdcc server sends an ad to the channel. looks like this:

Quote:

#1 00x [699M] file1.zip MD5 Hash: d8f5d72ed787f307943d99e65429c4f9
#2 00x [51.6M] file2.zip MD5 Hash: 529bb65a1062d3df01945565bca22ccc

this way the files are identifiable. Besides, it's really easy to add this function, as illustrated by the following example, where the md5 function is inserted into already existing code of an xdcc script:

Code:

%xdcc.set.tmp2 = $$dir="Select a file to add:"
; adding md5 hash calculation:
var %md5hash = $md5(%xdcc.set.tmp2,2)
%xdcc.set.tmp2 = $instok(%xdcc.set.tmp2,%md5hash,4,134)

and then the calculated hash is added to the xdcc server ini file, next to the pack harddisk path, description, size, # of uploads etc. When the xdcc server sends the ad to the channel, it retrieves various pack properties (incl. the md5 hash) from the ini file, using the $gettok function. This way mirc doesn't have to recalculate the md5 hash every time it displays the ad, only once, when the file is added, otherwise Mirc would die every couple of minutes, because md5 calculation of huge files takes some time and requires a large portion of the cpu resources.

I hope those people that write xdcc scripts will read this and also add md5 calculation to their scripts. Really tired of broken downloaded files mad

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Of course, if people weren't using mIRC to download a lot of large, illegal files, this wouldn't be an issue. I mean, if someone downloads a family picture or a friend's picture, if it fails, it isn't going to take long to download it again. Not that you're likely to put pictures like that on XDCC anyhow. Very few files that are large enough to make this an issue are legal to download. And your comment for 100GB of lost data suggests that you're definitely downloading illegal files (most likely either games or movies or apps). As the sticky says, this isn't meant for illegally downloading files and we're not here to help people to do so. Checksums may be helpful on the rare legitimate occasion, but because it's rare, they probably won't be added to mIRC. Doing so just helps to promote piracy.

Besides, if you know what you're doing, it really isn't difficult to completely download something without such problems.

Also, keep in mind that XDCC is a SCRIPT. It is not built into mIRC itself. It just uses the DCC protocol to send files. The only way MD5 built into mIRC would work would be with the RESUME option. And that's DCC related, not XDCC. XDCC scripts have to requirement to list the MD5 even if mIRC has something built in for it.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
100GB of saved google/youtube videos? 100GB of Freeware/Open Source apps? I'd like to see that wink

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
i dont think its your concern or anyone elses what USER does with protocol.

if its illegal, then its USERS problem and not yours or some1 elses....

IceCapped
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
If you do something or build something that allows a person to commit a crime, you are an accessory to that crime.

-genius_at_work

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
by that thinking Khaled can be arrested for building mIRC, which allows DCC, which allows these files to be shared. He didn't need to add the capability to mIRC.

Or perhaps stanley should be sued for making knives, utilised in crimes everywhere.

Maybe ICI should be sued for making dynamite.

Just making somethign available shouldn't make you an accessory, you didn't make people use it in an illegal manner. People can think for themselves and if they choose to do illegal things then that's their decision. I don't think the people who make the tools are responsible.

btk

billythekid
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
then khaled should go to jail

IceCapped
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I would agree with that statement if someone were to build
(script) something solely for the purpose of commiting
a crime. Like a gun that only fires at cops, or a car that will
only run when used for bank heists or a file sharing script
that will only serve illegal/copyrighted content. But most
anything can be used to commit crimes.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
and your correct in that.

From memory we have SONY to thank (yes sony who owns Sony music) for ensuring that its not if your stuff can be used for a crime that makes u colpabile,

They defended themselfs to do with the video recorders, saying just becuase u can pirate copyright tapes doesnt mean you well, and theres legit usage so there for it must be allowed.

(that came back to bite them in the butts)

W
WRFan Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
W
Quote:
Very few files that are large enough to make this an issue are legal to download. As the sticky says, this isn't meant for illegally downloading files and we're not here to help people to do so.

I am very well aware of the fact that the this forum does not approve of illegal downloads on irc. But you forgot a vast amount of TV rips and open source programmes that are available on IRC and free to share. Because I am living in a non-english country, I often download TV series rips, because I don't like dubbed versions

Quote:
Also, keep in mind that XDCC is a SCRIPT. It is not built into mIRC itself. It just uses the DCC protocol to send files. The only way MD5 built into mIRC would work would be with the RESUME option. And that's DCC related, not XDCC. XDCC scripts have to requirement to list the MD5 even if mIRC has something built in for it.

I know, and that's exactly what I am talking about. My post wasn't meant for Khaled, but for people, who write xdcc scripts. They should always include md5 checks in their scripts. Just didn't know where else to post. I think many people interested in irc are frequenting this forum, so hopefully they will read my post and reflect a little upon what I suggested

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
But you forgot a vast amount of TV rips and open source programmes that are available on IRC and free to share. Because I am living in a non-english country, I often download TV series rips, because I don't like dubbed versions

Well for a start I never said that, your quoting someone else. However I wouldnt doubt that if u actually checked on it you would find TVrips are illegal as most TV programs are copyright meaning you do have to get permission to reproduce them, i very much doubt that any irc channel is doing this. (personally I dont care about tvrips one way or the other, but lets be real about it, tvrips well be illegal in 99% of the cases)

As to xdcc using md5 hashed crc values, it would be the simplest of things to just add the md5 crc value to the filename, and thus 2 files like named files would NEVER match as they would have the md5 attached to the filename, beyond that I dont know just where you think your gonna put that md5 of a partly downloaded file, I doubt that you want to start messing with secondary data streams as not all OS support them.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
He was quoting me. smile

And, yes, TV rips are just as illegal as warez... though no one goes after those very often.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
knock knock knock kick kick smash in the door

FBI we have come for you for your illegal recording of ep # 3941 of Days Of Our Lives! You sinister agent of evil!

Link Copied to Clipboard