mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#161829 12/10/06 07:01 PM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Different people have different needs. That doesn't make them idiots.

#161830 12/10/06 07:05 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
I dont think it's cause they're idiots. I think IM programs have been hyped soo much that they takeaway from IRC clients to be perfectly blunt. I think somebody decided that IRC should die and that IM programs are the wave of the future withf eatures IRC never had. What they dont understand is that irc is simplicity - you log in and chat. It's uncomplicated by video, voice, streaming music etc. It's the simplicity of interface that has kept people (among other reasons). IM programs have their purpose, which right now is MAINLY (tho not wholely) video and voice (and respective conferencing). If irc would to have video/voice, IMs would still be around and it would NOT make IMs any less desirable, it would just make mirc (the client in question) more flexible.

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#161831 12/10/06 07:06 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Quote:
So how come that alot of people are using MSN/Yahoo chat instead of IRC (mIRC?) :-)

I don't think I have seen a IRC or a mIRC commercial advertisement on TV, maybe thats part of what is percieved as a drop in IRC use, I have seen Yahooo advertised and MSN too.

As a side note, usenet is on the decline largly because ISPs are not hosting the news aervers, i asked mine why they dont, "no one asks for it" Of course they dont, they dont know to ask.

#161832 12/10/06 07:09 PM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
At this point, I think everyone is using IM clients because everyone is using IM clients, if you know what I mean. I don't think MSN messenger is anything special, but if I want to talk to my friends online it's all I can use.

#161833 12/10/06 09:40 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
So how come that alot of people are using MSN/Yahoo chat instead of IRC (mIRC?) :-)

coz they are:

1. ignorant
2. lazzy

IceCapped
#161834 12/10/06 10:15 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
You all seem to be talking like IMs and IRC are competing against each other. They're separate entities which have some overlap in function. IRC is primarily based around channels, allowing you to either feel more like part of an online community within a channel or otherwise find people who are interested in a similar topic as yourself (ie. mostly strangers). IMs on the other hand are primarily based on making online communication with people you've already met and just want to speak to in a one-to-one conversation. IMs are better at that than IRC and so, with the increasing access of the internet it makes sense that people who's only intention is to talk to their friends will use an IM and not IRC.

Because IMs and IRC have different functions there's absolutely no reason why one would 'die' just because the other is becoming more successful, and I can see no evidence of that being the case. Even if it was, it still wouldn't be a reason in itself to add a feature to mIRC.

Nobody here is trying to market IRC or "beat IMs", it's simply a case of whatever's best at a given task will usually come out on top. Yes, I do think audio and video DCCs should be supported in mIRC, but Instant Messenging's success and any perceived decline in IRC have nothing to do with my reasoning and, IMO, are completely irrelevant to the feature suggestion. So why not talk about the feature itself and stop with the "IRC vs IM" stuff. It's pointless.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#161835 13/10/06 04:08 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
it's hard to talk about somethinglike this and NOT do it. You've seen it, Ive seen it, we've all seen it. It's (quite frankly) one of the big reasons people want it, cause IMs have it. The ones who use that logic claim that it makes IM programs better or be replacing IRC clients. You can't forget that too. It's how they (those who tend to suggest the idea or fight for it) tend to get their point across. I agree with you that each has their own purpose and that whichever program offers the functionality of the desired users comes out on top.

Getting back to the original suggestion though, if it's added, it's added. I refer back to my previous post here:

only time will tell and we'll just have to wait smile

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#161836 13/10/06 09:43 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
Obviously any mIRC user trusts mIRC to not contain malware. There's no reason to extend that trust to one of the few closed-source mIRC addons available. Maybe some people use it and are able to check that it doesn't do anything sinister, but the vast majority of mIRC users probably don't have the capability to check thoroughly and many wouldn't be willing to take a chance. Nor should they have to.

There are good sites/apps that will check things like this. Just as one example, SiteAdvisor from McAfee gives you a browser plugin that tells you about the site. If you look at the site details, you can see information on the downloads they offer and whether or not any contain viruses/adware/spyware/etc. Some are free, other cost money. Most are easy to use.

Quote:

I'm not sure of your point on your second paragraph. Are you saying that because there's an addon available, no matter how poor or counter-intuitive it is to use, people who want this feature should just use it and not expect mIRC to add this feature? I don't really want to respond to that unless I'm sure that is what you mean, but lets just say that would be a very backwards way of looking at the world in general.

No, that's not what I meant. People have said in this thread and other threads on the subject that using that addon for audio/video is difficult, so no one wants to use it. I may be harsh in saying this, but if people REALLY want something, they will take the time to learn to do it. If they don't want to learn to do it, then they don't really want it. They may *like* to have it, but they don't really *want* it, or they would learn to use what is available. That may be a harsh statement, but it's true. If you really want something, you'll do what is necessary to have it (within reason).

I did mention that I don't care if it's added or not. I'm not against it being added. I just don't see the need to compete with IM. Just because IM has it doesn't mean that IRC has to have it. And vice versa.

I personally could care less if it's included. I have no need to see a dozen or more people's faces on my screen in order to talk to them, or hear that many voices. And if I really want to just do that with one person at a time, then what's wrong with IM? I use both. IM makes for quick messaging of people I know and I don't have to teach anyone about IRC or explain what server and channel I am in. It's useful for that. And because I use Trillian, I don't have to have multiple IM clients running at the same time to talk to different people. Nice and easy. On the other hand, I have mIRC for talking with a LOT of people at once, playing trivia, playing various other games, writing scripts for people, and having a good time. For me, IM is for chatting only... IRC is where I have fun with people online (other than playing online games, of course). mIRC has more value to me for that reason.

I don't need all those IM things included in mIRC. If enough want them and Khaled agrees, then we'll see them. He knows people want those items and he will decide, in the end, to add them or not to add them. Having dozens of threads really won't change his mind much. It's similar to the whole emoticon thing... it's been beaten to death so many times that he *definitely* knows people want it and if he wants to add it, he will. Rehashing it over and over won't change anything.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard