Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
sigh.

Just waiting on yet another tech to come by and see what they can do. (I have also put in all the latest drivers for chipset & vid card, and have installed the latest Bios) Just to dot all my i's

G
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
Oh my do I need some help here.

Ok, latest tech did basically nothing. (They know what the problem is, and yet send an installer tech)

He then calls a Level 2 tech and has "me" talk to him.
1. The level 2 tech does not even know what a DCC is. (Heck, I am stupid and even I know it is a Direct Client Connection) I mean this is not new stuff here.

I get off the phone with the level 2 tech, since he could not help at all. The tech who is at my home packs his stuff up, and then asks me what a DCC is... I explain it, and he says oh, he does that from his home as well. Then goes on to tell me, that the tech on the phone was telling him, what I am trying to do (Get a DCC) is something I "can't" do. ???!!!

Let's see, I have had this ISP for 2 years been doing it all along... Before that with my other ISP was doing it for 10 years prior... Yep, I can't do it LOL. They are having the area supervisor contact me tomorrow.

Ai ya... can anyone (other than I know get a new ISP... which I cant at the moment, this one is only game in town) offer some advice as to what I can possibly say or explain to the Area Supervisor who will be contacting me tomorrow.

Thanks in advance....

G
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
I am working on IRC with someone from my ISP right now (They do this as a help service from broadband reports.com This is not someone who is actually on the case.

They said my routing looks very spotty, and bad. Other than that, they cant figure it out. I was able to see a popup for a file he tried to send to me. I then got disconnected with this error msg...

[10053] Software caused connection abort

Crap, now what lol

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Can you either try connecting without the router to see if it works that way, or try borrowing a different router from someone and see if that works for you?

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
G
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
I have not had the router hooked up for a good week now. I did this just so my ISP would stop focusing on that. (I know it is NOT a router issue)
I had even bought a New router, and the problem still persisted.

I have a thread going on, about this at Broadbandreports.com Some of the Tier 2 techs from all different ISP's volunteer their time there to help people with issues.
So far, the only thing anyone has found is my routing is very, very spotty. I just got off the phone with the Area Supervisor. His Tier 2 people still want to blame the client program (mIRC) for the trouble.

They said that they have had a number of similar problems when people upgraded to a newer version of mIRC. I told him, and still maintain for now, that this is an ISP problem. I however, just removed v6.2 and will put in an old 5.16 copy that I have on an old backup CD.

In further discussion, I have now found out that my ISP has been exceeding their bandwidth, and are trying to get more servers online. In addition, the supervisor told me they have been throttling people back, but does not know if this could be the cause of my problem.

As it stands at this time... He is sending back up the chain to the Tier 2 people, I will also continue to work with the Volunteers at BBR, and the Supervisor is supposed to get back to me on Monday.

What a mess.
frown

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If they are throttling people, that could definitely be the issue.

When you said your routing was spotty, I thought you meant with your router, not with your routing to the internet itself. Sorry about that. smile

Invision Support
G
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
Yep, I am still here, and still have this problem. (Sigh)

My ISP is going to try putting me on a commercial account as a test to see if the equipment they use on the residental service might be blocking it somehow.

In the meantime I have a couple of quick questions...

1. In Windows firewall... should uPnP be allowed as an exception??

2. In reading on the web, I am getting a little confused about what ports mIRC uses with DCC's. In my settings it says it listens on port 59. However, all I have read so far says it uses ports 1024 -165535. (Are those just for the Sender, and not relevant in my case?)

Thanks for any help.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC can use pretty much any port you want. I've sent files using both the POP3 and SMTP e-mail ports before. It doesn't really matter as long as the port isn't being blocked.

Sending files is usually where you find ports being blocked. *YOU* choose what ports you send on in mIRC's options. Alt-O > Connect > Options > Advanced. When downloading, the files don't necessarily come in on the port(s) you choose in mIRC's options. And in most cases, you don't need to worry about that anyhow. Usually, downloads aren't blocked by a firewall. They can be, but they aren't usually except in certain colleges or businesses... some of which don't block all downloads, but only specific extensions, such as MP3.

When testing to see if you can get DCC working, I would disable Windows Firewall and not worry about settings. Once you know that DCC works, then you can turn on Windows Firewall (if you really want to use that as your firewall... there are better ones out there), and see if it works. If not, then you can play around with those settings.

Invision Support
G
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
I have tried with the firewall completly off, and even our anit-virus off. It did no good, still same problem.

I was just wondering more about why in my copy of mirc it says it listens on port 59, while all over the net it says it could be on any port. How does my mirc know which port a dcc will be trying to come in on?

I am just doing this for my own edification. I also want to know and understand as much as possible, when I am dealing with my crappy ISP.

I can't wait for a competitor to come into my area, but for now I am stuck with them, so best to learn as much as I can I figure.

G
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
Problem "seems" to be solved. My ISP was using hardware from a company called Allacoya. The offending hardware has since been removed and or patched.
Thanks for all the help.
smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard