G
GDMF Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
G
Current setup:
(/me ducks) Windows XP PRO x64 version 2003 SP1
running AMD 2x Opterons (not that it matters)
1gb of ECC REG Ram. (not that it matters)

mIRC v 6.2 and 6.17

expected results: that when someone sends me file it won't crash.

actual results: windows kills mIRC becuase it preformed an illegal operation... (you know the story) when someone sends me file... only once the window for the file is started, not becfore, like when the warning box shows up saying that someone is sending me a file...

Paste from the event viewer below:
Faulting application mirc.exe, version 6.2.0.0, faulting module iphlpapi.dll, version 5.2.3790.2706, fault address 0x00007ceb.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I was shocked when the link took me somewhere and said something other then "we are sorry we don't know what happened" it actullay has a lot of words on it... but not sure if it says a lot. I was not going to read it all becuase at this point I stop careing, and am only posting this bug report becuase someone else whom was kind enough to help me when I asked for it, asked me to.

cheers,
(I hope I remmember to check back with this thread)

also please ignore my bad typing/spelling.

ok *becuase I forgot none of you are going to be able to clicka that stupid link, I will be PITA user and paste in about 5000 lines....
* there is nothing else by me below this ->.<-

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
Event ID: 1000
Source: Application Error
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: ER_USERCRASH_LOG
Message: Faulting application %1, version %2, faulting module %3, version %4, fault address 0x%5.

Explanation
The indicated program stopped unexpectedly. The message contains details on which program and module stopped. A matching event with Event ID 1001 might also appear in the event log. This matching event displays information about the specific error that occurred.

[snipped]

G
GDMF Offline OP
OP Offline
G
oh yeah I also saw this in the event log.

The application, C:\Program Files\mIRC\mirc.exe, generated an application error The exception generated was c0000005 at address 76CF7CEB (iphlpapi!GetIpForwardTableFromStack)

J
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
J
Longest bug report in history

If only women came with popup menus and online help.
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
well, at least you cant say (s)he didnt provide enough details cool

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
J
Jae Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
J
microsoft and their lengthy life stories and encyclopedia volumes written for each problem.. anyone actually read all of that? ...

google search for: Iphlpapi.dll

Iphlpapi.dll Error Message with a 16-Bit Windows Sockets-Based Program
When you run a 16-bit Windows Sockets-based program on your Windows Millennium Edition-based computer, you may receive the following error message when the ...
support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279866 - Similar pages
[ More results from support.microsoft.com ]

....even tho that mentioned windows millenium edition.. im sure that there's one somewhere mentioning

google search: Iphlpapi.dll 64

GetHostByName function does not return IP addresses in the correct ...
This problem is caused by a code defect in the Iphlpapi.dll file. ... 228864 Iphlpapi.dll IA-64 15-Jul-2003 00:30 5.2.3790.68 84480 Wiphlpapi.dll x86 ...
support.microsoft.com/kb/822713/ - Similar pages

... im sure if you have a little look there'll be something there in the search results of use about the dll and what the problem is.

cheers!

G
GDMF Offline OP
OP Offline
G
well I don't understand why it went from working one day on the system to fatal errors the next.

I did not see any changes to the system between the last time it worked and the first failure.

I could probably restore the system from a image faster then it would take for me to google find a fix that works for me.
(and probably mess less stuff up as well)

yeah it was long report..... that was the product of a bad day at work. I went way overboard on the post becuase I was mad at my life.

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
While this may be in fact, the longest bug report in history, it does provide a LOT of information, that maybe K. and others can use to see if someone can address this problem back to the source (microsoft it seems).. This user initially came to the #mIRC channel on DALnet, and I suggested he come here for some help. I suggested the more background the better.. I will in the future think twice about how i word that wink

Bottom line, this is an error that needs to be addressed if we want to keep mIRC running on future (64bit) operating environments... So how should we proceed?

as ever,
HorseC

Help others! It makes the world a better place, Makes you feel good, and makes you Healthy!
G
GDMF Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I *REALLY* don't think this is an issue with running mIRC on WinXPProx64. Becuase it worked for a while on the same platflorm.

So either I have been hit with some rather nasty malware that I am unable to find...... or windows did an "update" without asking me to approve. I no symptoms of malware other then I use windows.

or some other app that has been installed (that I can't think of) has been installed and forkered with the dlls that die.

Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
... running AMD 2x Opterons ...

... faulting module iphlpapi.dll ...

This could be the same old iphlpapi.dll issue that has been reported by people with AMD processors before. Khaled has already tried to fix it, but perhaps the problem is still there. You could try my workaround here to see if it helps you.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
G
GDMF Offline OP
OP Offline
G
still does not answer why it worked on this EXACT same system for some time without any issues.

really I am just flat out confused as to what got changed that is now casuing this issue.

G
GDMF Offline OP
OP Offline
G
OK something that should be completely unrealted but I just thought of something that actually changed.

/me duh.

I did flash my BIOS

I swear if that is what broke it.......

G
GDMF Offline OP
OP Offline
G
oh yeah the same error occurs when someone dcc chats with me.

I have not seen if it will die with a send yet, but I would bet it would.

Last edited by GDMF; 05/09/06 01:57 AM.
G
GDMF Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Ok so owe Saturn <saturn@quakenet.org> a case of beer or something.

his fix of the iphlpapi.dll worked, at least to keep stuff from crashing.

woot to the woot.

p.s. Saturn you will have mail here soon on the said address, respond I will send you said case of beer.

P
P
i have the same problem.
Although i didnt understand what to do with that iphlpapi.dll file.
I downloaded it. Where am i supposed to place it now?
I have mirc 6.21,
And the readme said to place it in the mirc folder. But there is no iphlpapi.dll file there in the first place, to overwrite.

Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Who said anything about overwriting? You're just supposed to put it in the mIRC directory, that's all.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
He's probably thinking along the lines of replacing a bad
DLL with a good one not knowing that mIRC will look for
the DLL in its own directory before looking in the system
directory.

P
P
Originally Posted By: Sat
Who said anything about overwriting? You're just supposed to put it in the mIRC directory, that's all.
Oh I see.
Well i've put the file there then seems to work laugh

Originally Posted By: RoCk
He's probably thinking along the lines of replacing a bad
DLL with a good one.
Yeah exactly! smile

Link Copied to Clipboard