mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
G
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
Since this is a discussion forum (Not Q&A) I feel free to just make this statement. I noticed quite a few people nagging about mIRC’s file sharing/trading abilities on some servers/channels. Let’s not kid ourselves, most of these files are copyrighted or otherwise illicit. If you want P2P file sharing, there are many programs to serve your needs. mIRC is about meeting people – I doubt Khaled ever intended for it to be a conveyor of crooked content.

Last edited by gennathcacston; 17/01/06 07:40 AM.
D
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
D
I don't know Khaled but I guarantee you he didn't create it to meet people. He did it to write the most elite irc client on the net, which he has done. PS. mIRC's IRC file sharing can only get as good as the stability of the network your on. Hence it's about as good as your going to get. It may not be the easiest to find what your looking for, but IRC is by far the safest and most elite way to send files.

I post this as a realist, nothing more.

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
This explains a lot! mIRC's file shariing abilities are about as technically advanced as the 20 year old FTP protocol, and have absolutely NO facets of any current P2P software, but hey.. it's ELITE!

Downloading off IRC (in the sense of xdcc/fserves or whatever) is probably the LEAST SAFEST WAY TO DOWNLOAD. Read the *$%&'ing topics of such channels, where do you think XDCCBOT-12125421 comes from?

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Quote:

I post this as a realist, nothing more.

I would love to live in your reality - would certainly beat mine where I have to work for a living!

IRC = Internet Relay Chat ... if it was designed for efficient file transfer, it would have been labelled IRFT !

Cheers,

DK

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
Quote:
This explains a lot! mIRC's file shariing abilities are about as technically advanced as the 20 year old FTP protocol, and have absolutely NO facets of any current P2P software, but hey.. it's ELITE!

Downloading off IRC (in the sense of xdcc/fserves or whatever) is probably the LEAST SAFEST WAY TO DOWNLOAD. Read the *$%&'ing topics of such channels, where do you think XDCCBOT-12125421 comes from?

yeah and P2P networks with joeschmoke12345 is way better!!!

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Given there's far less chance every 'joeschmoke' is running off a compromised/exploited/stolen host, yes.

G
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
So is joeschmoke12345 a metaphor or is there a network like this? *giggle* Well I’m glad my point of view isn’t altogether disregarded laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard