mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
Drifter Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
D
Im trying to write a program with fractals. i need a huge image, but drawing on the picture window limits me to the resolution of my graphics card! ARGGGG!!! i can only get 1000x1000 as you can imagine, and im trying to draw an image for "D" sized paper! is there any way that i can draw a larger image and be able to save it to a file without mirc cutting off the bloody image?? ( i use /drawsave to export to jpeg)

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
You can use a different program or write your own (e.g. in C++) This way, you would be able to write it to a file in the format you choose without the limitations of mIRC (which is designed for IRC usage, not intensive graphics!)

The other questions you should consider is how many dpi the image is being printed to (I don't know how big "D" paper is). 150 dpi would give you an image about 7 inches wide.

Cheers,

DK

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
This sounds like a hardware issue, rather than software, since it's the resolution of your graphics card that is actually limiting you. No program (I believe) can make your graphics card display a resolution that it doesn't support.

If I'm wrong about this, then please provide verifiable details as to how a program can make a graphics card display a resolution level that the card doesn't support.

Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
He wants to draw on a picture window without actually displaying the results on the screen, but instead saving it to a file. This requires no hardware support at all and would be very possible if mIRC supported it. I've run into the same issue (but with opening/copying from large images rather than saving them) and found it rather backwards that the ability to open/save big pictures is limited by the screen resolution.

This thread really belongs in the feature suggestions category...

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
It's hard to tell that from
Quote:
drawing on the picture window limits me to the resolution of my graphics card !

#135874 21/11/05 05:52 AM
D
Drifter Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Sat is correct. Thing is i need the jpeg file to be rather large. were talking about 5000x5000 or greater. I dont really care if i see the image on the screen while in mirc... so it seemed okay when i had the window open initially. however. when i used the save command, mIRC cropped the image to what was on the screen only, and then saved it to a file. sorry if i made that not seem clear. i considered using another language, but the problem there is i dont know any other big languages like that. If anyone here is able to help out, please let me know. also yeah i was considering this in the new features forum, but i was thinking there might have been a way to get around this problem in mirc by myself... as, with respect... waiting on khaled would most likely take a longer period of time then if there was already some way written to get around this issue. (lol, its just that im very anxious to see the results of this..... i already have permission to use my colleges plotter! yay!) anyway, if anyone knows a way to get around my problem, or would kindly offer some help in porting my code to java or C++ , please post smile and if the issue cant be resolved, ill write for a new feature to be added.

#135875 23/11/05 04:14 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I don't know if you found a solution to your problem or not, but after reading the posts, I went to the local college and asked around about a program that would do what you're looking for. One professor suggested, depending on the amount of colour detail you're requiring, that a drafting program, like AutoCAD, might be appropriate. Now, while I know that AutoCAD is a trademarked program, there might be something similar that you can download from the net, on either a shareware, freeware or trial basis.

Just a suggestion.

#135876 23/11/05 05:03 AM
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Perhaps you can write your simple program to save the data to a file as a bitmap - and then use some other application to convert from bitmap to jpeg (e.g. irfanview - which is freeware).

another freeware graphics rendering program is POVRay (www.povray.org) This 3-D renderer may not do what you want, but it might also be worth a look.

Another couple of options :-)

Cheers,

DK

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!

Link Copied to Clipboard