mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#135609 14/11/05 02:12 PM
S
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
S
Hello.. am new to mIRC and I was wondering if anyone here knows how to configure it so you cant click on URLs that ppl post into a channel. Its basically so I can allow ppl use it in my cybercafe knowing that they wont be able to access anything outside of it.

Am basically looking to run a version of mIRC that only allows people to join different channels and only chat to people.

We are a gaming cafe and mIRC is wat people use at home to find matches for different games... so I want to get it working in here too... but I know you can access the web thru it and I dont want that.

Thanks.
S3th.

#135610 14/11/05 02:35 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC has a built-in /run command that can be used to run anything (including iexplore.exe). So, disabling the hotlinks isn't going to prevent using it for loading IE (or another browser). I'm unsure if you can make a "fake" run alias to prevent the /run command from working... but anyone with mIRC knowledge could disable it, anyhow. Besides that, anyone with mIRC knowledge could change your settings that block hotlinks.

I think your best option would be to use a Java applet in a website and set up a router/firewall that prevents all web addresses from loading other than that single page.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
#135611 14/11/05 03:41 PM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
alt-o/other/lock/disable run, dll & com

also he could just set the router to no allow web access on like 80 8080 1080 and what ever else http uses i cant remember, that would certianly hammper them.

maybe restrict dns look ups to irc.* man that would be annoying!

#135612 14/11/05 04:47 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Hm... I should look at the Lock options. I never have a need for them, so I never really took time to see what's there. smile

The router idea is definitely a better improvement on my router/firewall suggestion. DaveC, you're doing good going behind me and cleaning up my posts with something better. LOL! laugh

Anyhow, good suggestions. I enjoy learning new stuff, myself.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard