Print Thread
#134085 28/10/05 03:52 PM
M
Mille Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
A litle modification of the channel favorites that makes it join all selected channels in the same join-command sent to the server.
Instead of joining each channel with "join channel; join channel2" etc, join them with "join chan1,chan2,etc".

There maybe aren't any notable change when only joining a couple of channels with few users.
But if you try it with like 30 channels with alot of users in them, you will see the diffrence.

smile

#134086 28/10/05 04:38 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I think the problem with that is dealing with channel keys. If none have keys, or all have keys, there's not a problem... but if some have them and some don't, then it can be problematic to join all on a single join command. Of course, it could be made to join all the ones without keys using one command and then join the ones that do have keys using another join command.

In either case, I don't use favorites, so I really haven't seen how it affects things to join so many from the favorites list.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
#134087 28/10/05 08:59 PM
M
Mille Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
Problems are to be solved. ;- )

I haven't used the channel folders until recently.
Made me a litle script that saves that "state" of all the networks, channels and querys that are open when mIRC is to be closed down. The channels are stored in the built in favorite list.
Then next time mIRC i started I can re-enter that state. But instead of using auto-join channels, I'm using the channel favorites to select wich channel I want to join.

... well, this could be built in, into mIRC. But again, we don't want mIRC to be bloated with useless fuctions that people doesn't use. I dont know if it would be popular. But it's just an idea.

smile

#134088 28/10/05 09:02 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Well, I think it would be easy to implement and wouldn't bloat it or cause any problems for anyone. So, if it is true that it's noticeable slower the way it works now than it is when you're using a single join, it would be good to do.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
#134089 28/10/05 10:36 PM
M
Mille Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
The method that is used now are more or less flooding the server with "join" commands, wich makes the server de-prioritate you and all commands you are sendint it. Wich leeds to a, maybe 10 seconds lag when sending your first mesasge to a channel / user.

And I can only imagine what it with do to that poor people stuggling with 56k connections.

Eventually mIRC could get bloated if you fill it with all kind of functions that people would want...
but that makes me think of all the tools that aren't acctually beeing used.
Like the Channel Favorites, Online Timer(!), Url list(Good to have, but I dont think so many people are acctually using it), Adress Book (I dont know - are people seriously using it? But it's also good to have.)...
I belive they are all kind of old functions that just have been pushed along with the new versions of mIRC... well, some of them.

smile

Link Copied to Clipboard