mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
G
guecks Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
G
My network have tested Colors on Nicks since 2 weeks ago and we've perceived that mIRC doesn't support colors (like CTRL+K) in the nicklist. It seems weird.

Please, visit my network and see: irc.valechat.org

We'll be very grateful if the next version of mIRC supports colors on nicklist.

Thanks,
guecks

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
you can color the nick list , but its the user that can define what he wants as colors, so more than lijkely mirc is ignoring your colors, and using a default set, personally i think what your saying sounds bizzare that your coloring it at the server side, and your message sounds more like spam to get people to go to ya server.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
If your network has been testing colours in nicks for 2 weeks I'd have expected it to have come to your attention the major issues this creates. To list a couple of obvious ones:

- People can appear to be someone else by using the same nick with a few control codes thrown in. Currently mIRC's lack of support for colours in the nicklist prevents this from occurring there but it still happens when people use nicknames as hotlinks to open query windows.
- Anyone who strips colours can't contact certain people and won't have a clue why not.

It shouldn't have taken more than an hour of 'testing' for these issues to become clear. In fact just 5 minutes of consideration beforehand would've done it. In other words, I strongly disagree that mIRC should display colours in the nicklist, and I strongly disagree with the entire concept of control codes in nicknames.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
I have to agree with DaveC and starbucks.

I don't think server-side color'ing is really worth adding. Chances are, people would find several ways to abuse it.

G
guecks Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
G
- Anyone who strips colours can't contact certain people and won't have a clue why not.
---
I didn't understand this.

But anyway, a thing that we are considering is the "People can appear to be someone else by using the same nick with a few control codes thrown in".

We are doing a function in the IRCd that turns nicks with control codes equivalent to the same nick without the control codes.
Like: 4guecks is the same as "guecks".
I hope that you understands that it is only a test, and I think the equivalence should help us so much with the security.

Thank you
guecks
Quote:
Quote:

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Continuing the theme of the IRC protocol, control codes shouldn't be allowed in IRC nicknames either. Sounds to me like you're connecting to an IRC server that some (or most) people connect through via a Java client where such problems exist.

I very much doubt mIRC is going to integrate support for something that is virtually non existent and not only doesn't comply with the IRC protocol by a small technicality, but completely ignores/changes it.

Obviously, you can do what you wish with your IRCd/network, but at the same time, if you choose to be different from others in how your IRC server/network is run, you cannot expect everyone else to conform. It is beyond the practical control of mIRC as to whether nicknames appear coloured in everyone's nicklist.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard