mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#132332 09/10/05 05:19 PM
C
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
C
I'm posting this message to ask for general help to test a new dialog extension DLL for mIRC. If this is considered spam please delete it without hesitation.

The DLL is called DCX as many may have heard of it in the past.

This image illustrates all the power of the DLL in GUI making for mIRC. It is far more advanced than is MDX the already well-known extension. Since it wasn't developed anymore and I couldn't have the source code (which is a good thing for me), I decided to build my own dll to replace it. It aims at packaging some very useful GUI making tools that you usually only see in professional applications.

The whole DLL is used through 4 major commands: /xdid, $did, /xdialog, $xdialog which are used as their mIRC counterparts.

Now, what I'm asking is help to test the DLL mostly for OS incompatibilities as I develop on XP and don't have 2k, ME and 98 machines to assess that it's bug free on those plateforms. I want to be able to have the DLL work like a charm on each of these 4 versions of windows (2k3 is like XP so it's included by default most problems occur on older windows versions).

The full project source code (including my personal homemade libraries) will be published along with the DLL when it's officially released sometime in november or december, depending on how well the remaining tasks and testing go.

Feel free to pmsg or email me for details, comments, suggestions, bug reports or anything else.

If you submit a bug report, I need your OS version, IE version and the minimal code that reproduces the bug so I can reproduce it myself. Please be precise with your explanations. You can even provide a screenshot of the problem may it be visual.

Thank You
ClickHeRe

#132333 27/10/05 09:22 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
why does every gui dll is based on shitty IE ?
many people who is smart remove ie from their OS and i dont
say "uninstall" which doesnt, i literarly say DELETE since it can be done.

what then?
your dll same for mdx goes to limbo then?

IceCapped
#132334 28/10/05 01:36 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Just don't delete IE. laugh

I'm sure at least 80% of Windows users have IE installed, whether they use it or not. It's probably closer to 95% who have it. 80% is probably the number who use it still. So, I don't think there's a problem. laugh

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
#132335 28/10/05 01:41 AM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Quote:

Probably because half of the controls you see in everyday programs come bundled with ie.
Not many are willing to completely recreate the common controls and those that are won't make them as good.

Don't reinvent the wheel, use what you're given.

#132336 29/10/05 03:15 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
many people who is smart remove ie from their OS and i dont
say "uninstall" which doesnt, i literarly say DELETE since it can be done.

That is a silly thing to recommend to other people as many sites, mainly commercial, will not work in other browsers. An example is banking websites, some of which contain scripts and other code that only IE will recognise.

The reason that coders make addons for IE is because they want their addon to be as popular, or somewhere nearso. Necroman's DLL to allow a browser window in mIRC has been a huge success and I have included it in a script I've been releasing for quite a long time. I am yet to hear from anyone who suffered adversely as a result of using it.

#132337 29/10/05 08:21 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
it is not silly

IceCapped
#132338 02/11/05 08:38 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Wow what a come back, with that how could any of us not take u seriously.

#132339 02/11/05 03:58 PM
C
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
C
Think you misunderstand what's going on here.

mIRC is a client for Windows and the latest news I have is that it's not on any other platform. Secondly, the DLL is based on the windows API and yes there are some controls that are related to the version of IE as it's the application that bundled the comctl32.dll file in the old versions of Windows. So some controls are dependant on the IE version (the comctl32.dll file) installed on their computers. On XP, having or not IE doesn't matter, but it does on older Windows versions.

Secondly, people want DLLs that are consistant with the system and usually small because they need to package it with their script or addons. Now building a [INSERT YOUR FAVORITE NON WINDOWS GUI AVAILABLE ON WINDOWS] would grow the DLL size so much that this requirement would vanish and I would probably need to package a whole lot of other DLLs to be loaded by the "mIRC DLL" that people would have to shove around to use it.

I don't have these constraints making a Windows API DLL as people that use mIRC are on windows and they already have the API DLLs right on their system available.

#132340 03/11/05 01:34 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
Wow what a come back, with that how could any of us not take u seriously.

i didnt understood you at all...

IceCapped
#132341 03/11/05 01:37 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
DaveC means that saying "it is not silly" is a very weak reply that doesn't have any counter argument to the other people saying that your first comment is silly.

You said it was silly, but you haven't really argumented your belief, in contrast to other participants in this thread who did give valid arguments.

Anyway, if you think removing IE from your system is not silly, that is fine, just know that a lot of people disagree with this.

Gone.
#132342 03/11/05 05:47 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
oh...

IceCapped
#132343 09/11/05 10:24 PM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
actually... it can't be done...

all you can do is remove the out shell of IE... the core will always be a part of windows because it's entirely integrated into the system...

if you would remove all traces of IE from your system windows won't work anymore at all :-P (I know classmates who tried).

there is always the core left, which you could access by starting an explorer window and typing an URL in the address bar there

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
#132344 10/11/05 06:09 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
yeah...
im so ashamed, i made stupid replies smirk

ah well
to mistake is human, to forgive is divine smile

IceCapped

Link Copied to Clipboard