mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Morlun Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
M
I recently reinstalled everything after a format, and now I'm having problems recieving files. With the /debug command I realized that when I get sent a file through port 1024, it fails, but when it comes through 1025 (which means, when I'm sent a "dummy" to fill the first slot, and then sent the file I'm supposed to get) it works like a charm.

Obvious solution:

Tools -> Options -> Connect -> Options -> Advanced -> Change the Range to start at 1025...

The problem is, I did that, and the files keep coming to port 1024. I closed mIRC, reopened, it still has the configuration "1025-5000"... but it doesn't enforce it.

In addition, I use Sygate Personal Firewall, but it has nothing in the logs about blocking port 1024... I've browsed through it, but I see nothing that indicates that there's a default rule to block that port. The Windows firewall is off, I have no router, and at the moment, I haven't installed SP1 and SP2.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can give.

D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
It may seem unrelated but try and install Windows Service Pack 2 first.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Well the default set dcc ports (1024-5000) are way too many.
You only need like 10 or 20 ports, so maybe try 1031-1050.
Also, selecting the 'use random ports' option would probably
help. You'll need to allow these same ports in your sygate
firewall as well of course.

Last edited by mIRCManiac; 08/10/05 01:50 PM.
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
check the mirc.ini file isnt read only

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Well, DaveC, he did mention the settings were there when he restarted mIRC, so it isn't read only. smile

Just as a note... when you download something, the port used is based on the sender, right? So changing your own ports won't make a difference.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
Well, DaveC, he did mention the settings were there when he restarted mIRC, so it isn't read only. smile

baaaaa humbug, i swear i read a completely different message, something about setting his dcc ports and they returned to default, then again maybe i just read the Subject, maybe i should stop drinking so much.

Quote:
Just as a note... when you download something, the port used is based on the sender, right? So changing your own ports won't make a difference.

No its not, the port you connect to on the senders machine is defined by the sender, the port you use on your machine to connect to his machine is primarily defined by your alt-o/connect/options/advanced/dcc ports first and last values, this i beleive then reverts to 1024-5000 if there all in use.
This misconception is also what has confused the original poster (see other post)

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Ignore my other post i was talking before reading i think.

now with actually reading your post correctly....

You have several things going on here, you having port 1024-5000 in your dcc options, I dont think is a problem, as long as your firewall is set to allow mirc to use those ports and/or just use the internet outright (i dont know Sygates methodology of firewalling). You changing to start at port to 1025 only effects your ends port, but does likely also helps you send files (see reason below about port 1024)

The real problem is more likely at the senders end, since your sending on what ever port your dcc port options are set at BUT are sending to his port 1024, his firewall must allow an inbound connection on that port (ie you connecting to him, for him to then send you the file), and whats so much of a problem with port 1024 u might ask! well it has been penertrated baddly by some trojan/virus's, so alot of firewalls block that port and/or detect you as a hostile penertration (normally blocking your IP outright from then on). If this is whats happening, you get no connect when you try, however the sender doesnt realise this as he might then send to someone using 1025 and it works so he thinks its your end that failed & not his that blocked.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Hmm... I've had downloads coming in on many different ports that are out of the range of the ports set in my dcc options. If it isn't based on the sender, wouldn't the sender need to forward all ports just so that if someone downloading had their ports set to 10000-10001, it would still get past their firewall/router? Or do I have the port thing all messed up? Besides, if someone types /dcc send IP:PORT, they are choosing the port, right? How can that be set up by the downloader's options? Or are 2 different ports used? I'm confused now. smile

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard