mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#128718 28/08/05 11:27 PM
B
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
B
I have a friend who likes to talk in Japanese using UTF-8, but it just shows up as nonsense. Is there a way to enable UTF-8 support in mIRC or is that something I'll have to live without? (And try to convince the guy to use SJIS, I guess.)

#128719 29/08/05 12:13 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
UTF-8 has been suggested many times in the past is on Khaled's "to do" list for some point in the future. At this time, UTF-8 is unsupported.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#128720 29/08/05 04:26 PM
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
As an added complication, a lot of Japanese don't use Shift-JIS when communicating on-line, but ISO-2022-JP, also known as JIS. I suppose this is more or less just a tradition that's hard to break now that it's established, but Japanese aren't known for their love of Unicode either. Let's hope they wise up. smile

#128721 06/09/05 08:29 PM
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
if UTF-8 support is really important for you then use X-Chat. Seems Kahled will not be implenting UTF-8 to mIRC this century.

De Kus

Love hurts, love strengthens...
#128722 06/09/05 09:12 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
"Use X-chat" is one of the worst suggested solutions I've heard since I've been here.

Khaled actually has it on his to-do list for a future version of mIRC.

Judging from your only two posts here, you registered to just be an ass about the fact UTF-8 hasn't yet been implemented. Don't bother please, saves us all a lot of time typing.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#128723 08/09/05 01:18 PM
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
Quote:
"Use X-chat" is one of the worst suggested solutions I've heard since I've been here.

Khaled actually has it on his to-do list for a future version of mIRC.

Judging from your only two posts here, you registered to just be an ass about the fact UTF-8 hasn't yet been implemented. Don't bother please, saves us all a lot of time typing.

Regards,

sorry that im not familar with the spelling of his name, since its origin is not from my country and its not really one I remembered from somewhere else plus I am not confirming each time I write a name if I wrote it correctly.

your conjecture is half right... I registred to reply to an UTF-8 topic (search function rules ^^), but I didnt come back to further pick on it (though the reply had this side intention ^^).

But why so aggresive about my suggestion to use X-Chat? Can't you accept that there are alternatives to mIRC that might fit better to others? Just to state it clear, I am not using, I am still using mIRC, you might wonder why? Because UTF-8 isnt important to me plus I am to lazy to replace NoName-Script with a collection of TCL/Python scripts for X-Chat (not to mention I didnt succed to compile it for win32 myself so far ^^).

I can understand judging from the results of a UTF-8 search on the orum you might be a bit tired about the topic, but you should accept, that we, the user of mIRC, are also tired hearing always "its on to-do list", because the only statement from Khaled I found so far is from 12/02/2003 15:02, thats over 2 years ago, no update, nothing. Maybe I missed it, because it cant be found with a single search, sorry then ^-^.

oh no, I didnt come back to check for an reply... google suddently changed the first hit for the "De_Kus" search and lead me today here again wink.

Last edited by De_Kus; 08/09/05 01:36 PM.

De Kus

Love hurts, love strengthens...

Link Copied to Clipboard