mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#125032 13/07/05 11:51 PM
C
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
C
There is a mIRC user that has been coming into a chatroom. We kick and ban him and he keeps coming back under a proxied ip. He has made at least one death threat. How can we keep him from doing this or how can we find his original ip so he can be klined from the network? Help! Help! Help!

#125033 14/07/05 01:08 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Take this up with an IRCop or the person that runs the server.

#125034 14/07/05 01:08 AM
D
DV8 Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
This has nothing to do with mIRC. You''ll have to contact a network/server admin. Look for a nickname or email address in the MOTD (Message Of The Day) in the Status window by typing /motd or /join #Help (most networks have a help channel) and tell them.

#125035 14/07/05 03:03 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Note that even proxies tend to run off a range of ports. If you ban that range using wildcards, you can prevent the access unless he/she uses another proxy server.

Still, I'd take it up with the IRCOps and give them logs to prove it.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
#125036 14/07/05 04:47 AM
G
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
G
I'd suggest exactly what they did.

1. Log the user's threats if you haven't already.

2. I'd try checking the identd of the user and banning it - if a ban on an IP address doesn't work, I'd suggest using the identd for now, until you can figure out some way to make a stronger channel ban. Also, I wouldn't let them SEE that you're banning the identd as well as their current proxy IP address. Kick-Ban them from the channel, find out what their identd is/was and add it if they keep it consistent. It may take them a little longer to figure that the identd is the reason they can't come back in. I know it sounds rather strange, but I'd try it all the same.

3. Find out what the help channel is on your network by typing /list or /list help

4. Contact an IRC Operator in one of the channels regarding this. I wouldn't ask for them to k-line right away; logs CAN, unfortunately, be faked, so the oper may want more proof if you want the person to be k-lined, to be sure the k-line is placed justly. Be as helpful as you can to the IRC Operators.. perhaps request that they watch the channel or watch the user for a time if you want the person to be k-lined and/or g-lined.

5. Don't worry about the threats much - the likelihood of someone being able to carry out those threats is very small. Concentrate more on getting help from the IRC Operators, as I'm sure they don't want someone like that hanging around on their network.

Hope I helped even a little bit. =)

~Gilliane, A.K.A. Kitty

Link Copied to Clipboard