Print Thread
#123941 30/06/05 12:57 AM
J
jetchan Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
J
I've been using mIRC for a while now using Dial Up with no problems. Last week I finally got Cable installed and now my system bogs down and hangs if I use mIRC to download for more than 30 minutes at a time. When I reboot my unit, all's well until I reach that 30 minutes limit again. Do I need to change some configuration options in my mIRC to get it back into working order? My home system has Windows 98v2.
Please advise. confused

#123942 30/06/05 01:24 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
more than likely its your cable provider, some are real !@()#*!@)#*)!@(#*'ers they can detect what ya doing and slow the connection down after 1/2 hour.

However this being said, its always possable it is a local thing to you, dont give up all hope, just beaware it might not be your end.

I would test it, by seeing if you can spot when it occurs (ie: 28mins 30mins 35 mins) and then disconnecting mirc, and reconnect just before that, and if it donest appear you can be pretty sure its your ISP.

#123943 30/06/05 10:22 AM
J
jetchan Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
J
I've already considered disconnecting mIRC &/or cable connection before the stall time, with your "push" I guess I'll try that tonight. Didn't consider my ISP might be the culprit though. Maybe I should try not using mIRC but stay with IExplore for the duration and see if it does the same thing. If it doesn't hang with the IExplore, then I guess it's my end, no? I was hoping it was a simple matter of re-configuring mIRC options / switches when you switch from dial-up to cable. Thanks for the info.

#123944 30/06/05 01:15 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You won't be able to test with IE. If it's the provider blocking ports, then IE won't be using the same ports, so it won't help. If it's an issue with mIRC, then IE won't help figure that out either.

Try just running your tests with mIRC -- try not downloading and see if the same problem occurs; try downloading for 28 minutes, reconnecting, and downloading again and see if the problem occurs; try downloading on another port such as 80 or 8080 and see if the same problem occurs (the sender will have to specifically choose to send to you on those ports, so ask someone to help you test).

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
#123945 01/07/05 06:58 AM
J
jetchan Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
J
Tried the mIRC & disconnect before shut-off time already. System gets normal but still with some "stagger / slow down" effect. Found out the best way to get it back to speed was to re-boot & re-connect. It kills me to have to re-queue for files. But, I guess I'll just have to be patient & try other combination loads to see how it goes.

#123946 01/07/05 06:46 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
As mIRC isn't meant for filesharing, you shouldn't have to requeue for file downloads. As to it being a problem with mIRC or your cable provider, see if the same thing happens using other programs... personally, I've been using cable for nearly 5 years, and never had a problem.

Link Copied to Clipboard