mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
A
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
A
I have a client who's never used IRC nor have myself. Though somehow it was installed on her PC because each time she logs on its looking for a file micr.hlp file in the <a href="C://WINNT/System32......" target="_blank">C://WINNT/System32......</a>
And after clicking on the help button I received the IRC console. Fine. I closed out of it and now I can't get the console back or uninstall mIRC from control panel without gettting the error "you must exit mirc before uninstalling". When we reboot the error message appears but disappears almost immediately saying that it can't find the file. Its not consistent.
I'm trying to uninstall IRC on the computer and stop receiving this error message. There is no reference of IRC in the START>PROGRAMS area. And when I did a search for IRC I retrieved nothing. Not even the XiRCON file. Please help??? I need to uninstall IRC.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
There are a few trojans which carry a copy of mIRC as part of their payload, causing what you describe. check out this thread and its links. Be sure to note that in some cases, you will need to do some manual editing in the registry. I would suggest running a scan at the free online scanner that is one of the links in that thread as it tends to catch some IRC type trojans other may not.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard