mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
C
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
C
I'd like to see a method for capturing output from applications.

It doesn't sound useful, but really it could be. Right now you can mess around with timers and BATCH scripting, but its a tad messy.

I've seen it done (say, in, Editplus), and feel it could be a great extension to usuability.

I understand that mIRC supports both COM objects and DLLs, but this would make things even better - you could capture output from anything that runs off of a command line.

Developers could find this useful indeed, as they would only need to know a basic amount of a programming language to achieve real goals.

Anyway, just a thought.

PS:
Another advantage, you could handle encryption externally, thus creating some form of security in a script.

Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
There is DragonZap's stdio.dll (which you can get from here) that does what you want. Imo, such specialized things should rather be left to dll coders. That's why Khaled provided dll support anyway: so that everybody can have whatever they want in mirc without him having to code everything.

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
I quite agree. I don't really feel EVERYTHING that we suggest/want/beg for should be added. If it were, there'd be nothing for us coder-types to do but sit around and watch all our script ideas get incorporated directly into mIRC. I can't count the number of times I've had to trash large sections of scripts when a new mIRC came out because now it's part of mIRC.

In any case, I think such specialized needs such as these need to be dll'd rather than incorporated. Compared to the installed userbase + newbies, probably less than 1% of the people who use mIRC would use such a feature themselves, if not using a script that uses such a feature (without Dragonzap's cool dlls).

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C

Link Copied to Clipboard