mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Riamus2 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a m4p player for mIRC yet? I want to play these free songs I get from Mountain Dew tops from the iTunes site in mIRC rather than using the QuickTime player.

Last edited by Riamus2; 13/04/05 12:18 AM.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
While we are at it, has anyone made a Word Processor for mIRC too? Perhaps a spreadsheet application would be handy.

Cheers,

DK

p.s. mIRC is for Chat .. a media player - like QuickTime or WMP are best for playing songs.

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
As you noted, mIRC is a chat program. There are lots of programs out there already for word processing and spreadsheeting...some of them are even free (can't beat that price if you have a limited budget).

Riamus2 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
And is there a reason to ignore the fact that mIRC is a very powerful program, able to do more than just chat? I have enough things running at once on my computer and playing songs from mIRC is easier than having yet another app running. mIRC plays anything else without a problem (splay). Why ignore that it has the capability?

I can understand not helping with filesharing as that is illegal in most cases and I agree with that. However, there isn't anything wrong with using mIRC for music. If mIRC is only for chatting and nothing else, we might as well remove the scripting ability from it, right? Is having a game on it wrong? A game isn't chat, right? Is having it check weather for you wrong? Is it wrong to use it for *anything* other than chat?

I'm just wondering why anyone would have an issue with playing music if they don't have a problem with anything else.

Invision Support
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Hi,

I generally find that if you can't find it on one of the scripting sites listed here, or with Google, it doesn't exist, but that's not always true (I know people have issues finding mdx/moo.dll). I don't know of one personally though.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
Riamus2 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Ok, thank you for the reply. I did find that AMIP (Winamp plugin) will play them and then display info in mIRC... but still doesn't play in mIRC. I'm thinking that since AMIP is seen often in complete scripts, that it may be integrated at some point with the m4p format.

Thanks for the help.

Invision Support
A
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
Quote:
While we are at it, has anyone made a Word Processor for mIRC too? Perhaps a spreadsheet application would be handy.

That was a joke right? It must be considering what you said after that...
Quote:
p.s. mIRC is for Chat...

crazy

"God sometimes puts us in the dark for us to see the light"
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
You know, I totally agree with Riamus2 in his reply post to the snotty reply about word processing and mirc. If you are not going to be helpful in your replies on a HELP FORUM then don't say anything at all. Not everyone that comes here is as brilliant as you I guess. As for the comment, mIRC is more then a chat program these days, hence the splay capibilty in mirc. And before you come back with another brilliant comment about the splay being so you can play wav files in the sound options.... if other audio wasn't ment to be used in mirc then mp3's wouldn't be supported.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
mp3's are supported? I was under the impression it was windows media player that was supported ... but what do I know.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Quote:
mp3's are supported? I was under the impression it was windows media player that was supported ... but what do I know.

Thank you to those who noted my warped sense of humour in my original post.

The point I was making is that mIRC, while having a powerful scripting engine, is designed to handle IRC. mIRC does not play multi-media files, nor does it do spreadsheets or word processing.

As CtrlAltDel kindly points out, mIRC (through the powerful scripting engine) does allow support for other programs that does handle those other types of activity.

I was answering Raimus's original question - which was in the context of whether mIRC can actually play mp4's.

And given the power of modern PC's, is it too much to ask the machine to have more than one application open at a time? Why should mIRC have the responsibility of running everything on the machine?

Cheers,

DK

Darwin_Koala

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Quote:
... mIRC is more then a chat program these days,...

One could argue semantics. mIRC is only a Chat program that has the power (through the scripting ability) to harness the capability of other applications on the computer.

And I don't have anything against playing music .. or games, or videos!

Cheers,

DK

Darwin_Koala

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
The following comments are not intended to cause a thread war between forum members:

Honestly, I'm glad mIRC is able to harness the capability of other applications. I like the idea of having things such as a scripted audio player at my disposal within mIRC instead of switching from one application to another. I'm sure others have their own pros and cons on this topic and I have mine. It's just a difference in personal preference. "Having the option" is part of the reason I love using mIRC.

FEATURE SUGGESTION: m4p playback

The original poster may be onto something. Since there is the capability to play mp3's, wavs etc., why not the ability to play music from iTunes? At least for some of us who actually pay for online music, the capability would be nice. It's something to ponder on for awhile.

A
Babel fish
Babel fish
A
Why not try converting your m4ps to a different format?

Riamus2 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Unfortunately, from what I have seen, there are not any free conversion utilities for that format... and since you're already buying the music (or you get a free song from Pepsi), why pay for a program to let you play it on something other than iTunes or QuickTime's player? WinAmp can play it now thanks to AMIP.

Now that someone pointed it out, I think they are right in that splay will play whatever Media Player supports. Or is that incorrect? If it's correct, then what we really need if we want to play music in mIRC is a codec for Media Player.

As for my preference for music in mIRC... I am in mIRC all the time and it is easier to do things from there rather than switching between many apps. I made my own playlist script which works with all the major playlist formats (media player, winamp, etc) and converts between them so I can use the playlist on those apps if I felt like it. I like using that rather than the other apps for playlist work as well. Just my preference, I guess.

Invision Support
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
A good free converter is few and far between. I've looked, ended up paying for one....Although if you ask me its a hassle to convert each file. As I was saying if mIRC could support these files, it would save the time of converting. Ah well maybe oneday it will happen...not a big deal if it doesnt. I'll get over it.

Link Copied to Clipboard