Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
I'm having all kinds of problems with DCC send and a router:
https://forums.mirc.com/s...p;page=0#121101

Also, according to link:
http://jdc.parodius.com/irc/dcc_nat.html

there are many problems with mIRC, routers and DCC sends.. according to this link :

The problem with outgoing IRC DCCs -- like most P2P (peer-to-peer) applications -- is that the port numbers are transmitted to the remote end as part of a data packet and not "negotiated" like UPnP provides. IRC DCC was invented long before UPnP, and will probably never be upgraded to support this kind-of feature

I say : WHY NOT ??? grin grin
Why not make version mIRC 6.17 that DOES "negotiate" DCC sends like UPnP does and make it a better program that works better ???

Greetz,
JRLS

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
As has been said 976343 times before, mIRC isn't a p2p application (which also translates: mIRC isn't a file trading program).

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
J
JRLS Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
I'm not saying it's a P2P program or that it should be like that.
it's irrelevant.

I'm only saying that the DCC sends cause major problems with routers as it is implemented now. And since DCC send is a feature of mIRC, it should be implemented properly, dont you think ?
Therefor, i propose a implementation of DCC sends that work well with NAT and UPnP (just like DCC get works well).

Last edited by JRLS; 30/03/05 10:32 PM.
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
You quoted text which says that mIRC is a p2p application - why should mIRC have its file sharing system implemented in the same way as those applications when mIRC isn't one?

DCC works fine for me, and for thousands of others who use it. DCC is a very simple protocol, and Khaled is not the one who designs it. It only starts to break when you complicate things with stuff like NAT/UPnP or using it in a way it shouldn't be used (e.g. massive download sizes, a large number of DCCs).

As a note, UPnP support has been suggested on numerous occasions, using the Search feature will reveal many of those threads smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
J
JRLS Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
Hey Mentality,

Forget the part about P2P in the quoted text.
That was not what i meant smile
I just want to point out, that it could be improved, especially when using routers.

I've been using mIRC for 2 years now with no (big) problems.
(no problems with DCC sends either). It's just when you throw in a router, problems start in many cases.

I'm not saying that it should be implemented the way like p2p programs are implemented. I'm just saying, it can be better.

Also, "e.g. massive download sizes, a large number of DCCs" is irrelevant. It doesn't work properly either in many cases when sending a 400 kb jpg to a friend when people are using routers. Big files, or many files is not the issue here.

And most people that do NOT have problems, also DO not have routers. grin

PS : when i search with "UPnP" i only get about 4 hits, which are all these posts. grin

Last edited by JRLS; 30/03/05 10:49 PM.
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Routers will always cause problems with DCC, Khaled cannot change that to the best of my knowledge. For many people I have dealt with though it's just been a matter of port forwarding in the router and mIRC.

Quote:
And most people that do NOT have problems, also DO not have routers.

Then the answer seems obvious grin

Quote:
PS : when i search with "UPnP" i only get about 4 hits, which are all these posts.

Then you probably didn't expand the date range to '5 Years', however, other searching tips can be found in this thread.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
J
JRLS Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
5 years,
damn, you got me there! grin

Well, i can send to about half of the people now with no problems.

To the other half, the dcc send will drop to 0kb/s and halt. In those cases, the port number is changed...
https://forums.mirc.com/s...p;page=0#121101

Last edited by JRLS; 31/03/05 03:36 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard