mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
B
bedpan Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
B
I generated a 4GB (4294967296 bytes) file filled with null bytes, and tried sending it via DCC - in the send dialog, the file size is displayed as "n/a"
If I make the file larger by one byte, the size is displayed as "0.00 KB"
My drives are formatted using NTFS.

A
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
A
mIRC isnt meant for large file transfers. The file server and the dcc protocols built into mirc are meant for small files why dont you go find a better program for that purpose

B
bedpan Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
B
I don't actually plan on using DCC for files that large, it was just a test. So what if it wasn't designed for large files? Does that mean mIRC's file size display should be broken?

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Well it's not really a bug, it's a limitation. mIRC is a 32-bit program written and compiled for 32-bit processors, meaning the largest efficient integer type available for a filesize is 32-bit unsigned (2^32 = 4294967296 bytes = 4GB). Sure, 4GB can easily be handled by today's hard drives, but even so 4GB files are rare, and using DCC is certainly one of the worst possible ways of transferring them over the net that I can think of. I'm not saying mIRC shouldn't extend the filesize it can handle/display, I'm simply pointing out that no-one would ever notice this limit in practice if they were even remotely sensible.

Assuming Khaled does switch it to a 64-bit unsigned integer, I wonder how long it'll be before someone posts saying that their 16+ exabyte file isn't being displayed at the correct size.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
I believe that there is already a topic exactly like this? Maybe you should search next time before you post?

Live to Dream & Dream for Life

Link Copied to Clipboard