Print Thread
#112191 21/02/05 11:13 PM
L
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
L
Hello -

I've just done a wipe of my primary hard drive, have reinstalled mIRC from my secondary hard drive and got this virus warning from Trend Micro:

Infected file: C:\Program Files\mIRC\mirc.exe

Virus Name: TROJ BASED.A

User Name: *****

Scan action result: Quarantined.

Thinking that maybe my copy was corrupted, I grabbed a fresh copy from one of the IL servers - got the same answer. Went to one of the MI servers and same thing again.

Huh??? Did this release come with a trojan built into it??? shocked

I've never had this pop up before and am a bit concerned.

Help answering this most perplexing question would be most appreciated!

Thanks! smile

#112192 21/02/05 11:17 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
At the time of posting, I literally just flicked from an mIRC window dealing with an oper who said their AV was reporting the same thing as were a number of others.

This seems to happen occasionally, AVs get touchy with mIRC. mIRC is not a trojan, it is safe to download provided you only download from the official mIRC mirrors at this website smile

* Mentality waits for the flood of posts about this smirk

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#112193 22/02/05 12:08 AM
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
I just had the same thing happen to me last night. even maximising a mirc session would activate a virus alert in my Trend AV program. I cannot unload my AV as it is a global system for the company I work for.

TEMP FIX : But I found that if I just rename the mirc.exe to mircx.exe it works & the virus scanner is blissfully ignorant.

The AV warning I got was for TROJ_BASED.A which according to the trend virus defintions... doesnt exist confused

#112194 22/02/05 12:21 AM
L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
Trend's AV software is bad :tongue:

#112195 22/02/05 01:25 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
As an update, according to a helpful user in Undernet's #mIRC channel, Trendmicro have apparently released an update file for their AntiVirus (if that is the one you're using), dropping that Trojan from detection. I don't use Trend, so am unable to test, but I hope it fixes it for you. They released this around 3 hours after releasing the update file containing the detection of that trojan.

The download link is: http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp

You can also use Trend's auto-update feature.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#112196 22/02/05 09:40 AM
Z
Babel fish
Babel fish
Z
Just as a note, i use the latest mcafee security suite, it detects almost everything as a risk these days, but you can train your AV to recognize what's ok, like i add my mIRC i currently use, and tell it not to delete moo.dll amongst other things.

Link Copied to Clipboard