mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
C
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
C
Hail and thanks in advance for all those who might will be able to help me.

Since when I first started using mirc, the Bold, Underline, Color and Reverse character were represented in my screen by a small square simbol, even under notepad or Mirc alias editor. I wonder if this is same for all users around here.

Well, now that I switched to Windows XP, my characters changed, being now represented by foreign characters or even dont being represented at all (even if I still can use them to underline or bold my messages). I wonder if the fact that I'm using a Brazilian Portuguese version of Windows XP affects anything. I hope it doesn't, because some friends of mine, who uses the same windows as me still have the little old square representing their characters.

I first tought this had something to do with unicode, codepages, charsets and fonts, and tried switching them. Well, I could only find that Lucida Sans Unicode shows my Bold characters as squares, but ain't helped with the underline, which appear as a 'space' in my files, even under windows applications such as notepad.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

César Roberto de Souza

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I've had the same problem in XP when reinstalling after a format.

The reason here was because I checked the option that asked "Install files for East Asian languages"

You can view this by going to your control panel --> Regional and Language options -> Second tab: Languages.

Try uninstalling the supplemental language support that you will find there.

Hope that works out for u,

Greets

Gone.
C
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
C
I've unchecked it and I'm going to restart my machine for changes to take effect. It's weird that mIRC uses some kind of asian characters to display bold and underline information.

But the bad side is that I really like to display japanese, korean and chinese characters because I'm interested in learning one of those languages.

Well so now this is in my wishlist for mirc: please add the option for displaying Bold characters in a more sensate way, like Xchat does with their %C, %B, %U and the like.

--- going to restart, hope this helps! Thanks for the info!

Link Copied to Clipboard